No luck with azaleas

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Scooter_M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple, Wisteria
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: none

No luck with azaleas

Post by Scooter_M »

Hey guys just wondering if there is a trick to azaleas,I've tried one before and it ended up like the one below shortly before dying. they start out great then lose there leaves and flowers and end up as sticks. Do they need some special conditions I'm not aware of??

Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: No luck with azaleas

Post by Ray M »

Scooter_M wrote:Hey guys just wondering if there is a trick to azaleas,I've tried one before and it ended up like the one below shortly before dying. they start out great then lose there leaves and flowers and end up as sticks. Do they need some special conditions I'm not aware of??
Hi Scooter_M,
Is that Dynamic Lifter you have in the pot? If so this could be a source of your problem. Azaleas are acid loving trees and you need to fertilize them with the appropriate fertilizer. I use Kahoona. Make sure your Azaleas don't dry out, they don't like that at all.

Regards Ray
Last edited by Ray M on October 29th, 2014, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Sammy D »

Hard luck scooter. I have managed to kill a couple myself :lol: :lol: :lol: I have learnt how not to kill them. I now dont own one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :palm: :palm: :palm: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
Scooter_M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple, Wisteria
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Scooter_M »

Hey Ray, yeah it is, but it only went in last night as an effort to save it. Will grab some kahoona or similar tomorrow and see if that gives it a kick. It doesn't dry out much I'd at all
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

For many years I was lead to believe Azaleas would not grow well as bonsai here in the tropics. Then last year our illustrious patron gave me a small Rhododendron 'Sao To Me' and I have since obtained Rhododendron x obtusatum and a Rhododendron indicum Satsuki and they are growing very well. It is no secret that Azaleas are acid loving and drought intolerant - I have grown mine in equal parts of 2-5 mm composted pine bark, quincan gravel (an acidic scoria tuff we get locally), diatomite (which can be quite alkalkine but is buffered by the others) and chopped sphagnum moss. They are watered every day without fail and are in full sun for the first half of the day. Other than the Sao To Me they have all flowered, and all of them have quadrupled in size, including the trunks, in the time I have had them. So no 'tricks' per se, just good normal growing. Check that the Azalea variety you are growing is a strong one - the Rhododendron x obtusatum distributed in the commercial bonsai trade seems to be a pretty tough nut.
Ash
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

I reckon that's half the trick with Azalea Ash. I grew them commercially in Darwin for a few years and would hate to think how many perished before we ended up with a bit of a plant list of those that would grow up there. Wish I'd kept that list, because I think I have killed nearly as many here in the Wide Bay, trying to get a few nice ones happening in the garden.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Mine are all thriving :-)
Full sun to light dappled shade.
Plant in Kanuma Exclusively, but also used to use Diatomite/Zeolite mix.
Water often, never let them dry out. ( mine are daily)
Fertilise with Charlie carp / Miracle grow liquid fortnightly, and handfull of Neutrog Sudden Impact for roses on the surface every 6- 8 weeks

Dynamic lifter will kill them for sure

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers.

Post by Reece »

Cover any cut bigger than a chopstick with putty. I was told large cuts can kill them.....
macca66
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by macca66 »

Scooter,
I'm in Melbourne too, mine are in morning sun and sheltered from the Spring/Summer northerly winds. We've had quite a few warm days lately and on those they get a drink morning and night.
I use a50/50 commercial mix with coarse grit and don't have any issues. Liquid fret fortnightly- Charlie Carp or Powerfeed.
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, quince ....most things really
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Haydenmc »

I have chopped, hacked, dug and repotted azaleas at all times of the year - and other than a mild lacebug outbreak have never had a problem with them bouncing back, I notice strongest growth in a mix if approx 50:50 pumice and pine bark nuggets with chopped moss, but those that were merely yanked from the ground and stuffed into a pot have also survived - but not thrived. I am vigilant with them not drying out, this would be my only special treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

As a general rule, the older varieties are tougher whilst the new varieties are more tender. Try red wings, alba magnifica both are very tough and forgiving (for an azalea).
Rolf
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers, Natives, Elms
Bonsai Age: 32
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop Inc Perth WA, BSWA Perth WA

Post by Rolf »

Hey guys just wondering if there is a trick to azaleas,I've tried one before and it ended up like the one below shortly before dying. they start out great then lose there leaves and flowers and end up as sticks. Do they need some special conditions I'm not aware of??

Hi Scooter,
May be you want to try this website from Arthur Robinson he got some good tips for growing, soil required etc.............. http://www.satsukisociety.com/
Nature does always better! ;)
adge0001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper & JBP
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula Bonsai Society

Post by adge0001 »

Had the same problem with azaleas and dynamic lifter. The organic I tend to use on them now is blood and bone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."
-Carl Sagan
Bonsaifan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Bonsaifan »

I lost a few at the start and all because they dried out.... I too had thought I had watered enough.

For azaleas which are starters I sometimes group a few and in a much larger pot I pot them up in their existing pots..filling in any gaps with potting mix. This way they remain moist and don't dry up.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Hey Scooter, did it bounce back?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”