big old bougy flowering

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
srini
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: big old bougy flowering

Post by srini »

Cheers guys, I'm finally happy with how it's starting to look. When it starts cooling down a bit and stops growing so vigorously I'll post another photo when it's completely covered in flowers.
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by Paul W »

Got and old boughy that needs repotting, it is not a good a this one as it is a beauty.
Is is the right time of year to do it and I read on another site that they like to be pot bound and do not like there roots trimmed too much, but I read in the wiki that you can prune roots and they do not mind it who is right from you more experienced guys. ;)
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne
srini
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by srini »

Now would be fine to repot it but wouldn't wait all that much longer and yes I've many differing opinions on root pruning bougies. I find any time I repot, the roots are very delicate and many just just break away not leaving much of a root ball any. get rid of all the non feeder roots and try to be careful and keep as many of the hair like feeder roots as you can that will allow the tree to be snuggly put back into your new pot. I have never lost a bougy from overzealous repotting and I have a few. Though there have been times when I thought they may not make it due to just how few roots were left.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”