KIRKY's Flowering apricot

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Re: KIRKY's Flowering apricot

Post by Bonbon »

treeman wrote:
Bonbon wrote:I often browse Chinese bonsai forum. Funny thing is prunus mume , prunus Persica etc are very common and very cheap in China. Our quarantine law isolated us from all the best material from the world esp China and Japan.
Just bought one in Sydney for $250. The same tree in China should be around $50 RMB which is A$10.
Sometimes I really envy of the Americans and other countries one can pack trees in the luggage with soil and bring them back to their country. :oops:
Tell me about it! I did try to buy ume seeds from China - not expecting much. They sent me Chiomnanthus praecox. Any add from china or Hong Kong selling ume seeds will send you Ch praecox. It was worth a try. Can we see the tree you got in Sydney?? (there are very few good Ume bonsai in the US)
Prunus Mume in Chinese is 梅
Chiomnanthus praecox in Chinese is 腊梅
Even most of the Chinese thought they are the same, just different in colour. Chiomnanthus praecox is only yellow and very frangant. They thrive in very cold weather, ie northern China.
I found a Chiomnanthus praecox a few days ago but did not buy yet as I wonder they can grow well in Sydney.
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

treeman wrote:
Bonbon wrote:I often browse Chinese bonsai forum. Funny thing is prunus mume , prunus Persica etc are very common and very cheap in China. Our quarantine law isolated us from all the best material from the world esp China and Japan.
Just bought one in Sydney for $250. The same tree in China should be around $50 RMB which is A$10.
Sometimes I really envy of the Americans and other countries one can pack trees in the luggage with soil and bring them back to their country. :oops:
Tell me about it! I did try to buy ume seeds from China - not expecting much. They sent me Chiomnanthus praecox. Any add from china or Hong Kong selling ume seeds will send you Ch praecox. It was worth a try. Can we see the tree you got in Sydney?? (there are very few good Ume bonsai in the US)

These two is listed for Approx A$200 in a Chinese forum including postage(within China) :cry: :cry: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

And these ones, price to low to be disclosed :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Mike, thanks for the history on this tree. You did an amazing job as there is no sign of it being grafted :clap: :clap:
John, did mention he thought it might have been one of yours. As for the value/price :o I will have to stake the Shepherd to it :o unfortunately my photo's really don't do this tree any justice. It is so much nicer in real life. :imo:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

treeman wrote:
This is what A$250 will get you in Sydney. Lucky me to grab one of the last two :D
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

This one in Taiwan, price A$20 :palm:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Bonbon wrote:
treeman wrote:
Prunus Mume in Chinese is 梅
Chiomnanthus praecox in Chinese is 腊梅
Even most of the Chinese thought they are the same, just different in colour. Chiomnanthus praecox is only yellow and very frangant. They thrive in very cold weather, ie northern China.
I found a Chiomnanthus praecox a few days ago but did not buy yet as I wonder they can grow well in Sydney.
That's interesting. Thanks Bonbon
If you can communicate to the sellers (or another contact) that you want Mume seeds and not praecox (the black ones) and ask them to post a picture of the seeds, do you think you might get somewhere? If you can, I would be interested in getting lots of seeds from them as long as they are fresh.
ume seeds look like this...The fruit should be starting to ripen there right now.
P1100679.JPG
Chimonathus seeds look like shiny black beans.

Worth a try?
Last edited by treeman on June 29th, 2017, 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

Just saw the trees in Chinese bonsai forum. Don't know anything about seeds. Sorry

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”