Advice on bougy please

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Advice on bougy please

Post by peterb »

Hi Everyone
I dug this bouganvillea last autumn ( 2016 ) and just left it to grow freely, in order to let tit recover. It grew very well and I think it's ready for starting it's training. I'm a bit unsure as to where to go with it and would appreciate some advice. the trunk moving to the left is my chosen front but I'm very happy to get other suggestions. I'm not sure whether to grow the top shoot back towards the right or whether to continue the flow towards the left. Any suggestions welcome and those gurus that can do virts , they would be much appreciated
cheers
Peterb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Advice on bougy please

Post by kcpoole »

Nice stump! :yes:
I like the view with the trunk moving to the right as it has 2 changes of direction in that view.
Re styling, Just grow a large rounded canopy (almost like a broom) over the top of the trunk and if you have the view i suggest then a large first branch extending from the left at the top bend.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi Ken
I see what you mean, Hadn't really seen that before as I had really planned for the left direction, but that is a very good idea. Thanks for that
cheers
peterb
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Hi peter.... a handy trunk you have there,in saying that bougainvillea like azaleas are in my opinion are all about surface area to maximise the beautiful colour against the back drop of the greenery (leaf)

The colour in bougainvillea being as they say the modified leaf = ,s colour not so much tiny flower,I hopefully you get what I mean....anyway just call it colour okay .. lol :)

Moving along :D if you type in bougainvillea for bonsai a mile of images come up,basically as Ken has said big head on different trunks fat and skinny all good.

I have sketched something that maybe you can direct to,I have used your shoots and a extra at the top (end) of course you might use another one two or few front and back to get that head in real 3d.

A fluffy roughy ..good luck and keep us update if possible ...cheers
php19N1X8AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi Anthony
I was very happy to get the opportunity to dig up this tree from an elderly ladies yard, she said it was to unruly for her to tame anymore. Thanks for the sketch, always easier to follow on a sketch.
cheers
Peterb

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”