Azalea's galore

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Azalea's galore

Post by alpineart »

Hi Barry1 , mate the results may be short lived , by the time you realize the danger half the plant has died . I lost 40 Azalea's using it under the instructions from qualified horticulturalists and the guru of Azalea's in Australia Mr George Taylor founder of Burbank Nursery explains in his book it a slow certain death and he should know , his grown 99% of all the azalea's in this country , that's right millions of them .. I had good flowering and colours then the just died !!! . Unfortunately it was to be 10 years before i found George Taylor's book on Azalea's .

Cheers Alpine
lacertilian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by lacertilian »

hi all, is the dynamic lifter no good due to it's high (alkaline) pH when azaleas like low pH (acidic) soils? I have just bought a couple of starters recently. Cheers
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

AndrewM wrote:Very nice flowers Ian :cool:
The second flower (the pink with the white edge) I have one of those but have no idea what it is called :lost: Any Ideas :?:
Believe it or not it is called "Dogwood" there is a white cultivar of it called "Dogwood White" https://www.google.com.au/search?q=azal ... iAfk-4DwCQ
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

lacertilian wrote:hi all, is the dynamic lifter no good due to it's high (alkaline) pH when azaleas like low pH (acidic) soils? I have just bought a couple of starters recently. Cheers
Do Not use Dynamic lifter on Azaleas, and be wary of it on many other trees. ( tropicals seem OK).
I have lost several Azaleas and the only thing I can pin it down to is the application of D.L. when I was trying to find a good Organic pellet fert.

I now use Neutrog "Sudden Impact for Roses" and apply a handful to the soil surface every 6 weeks or so.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
lacertilian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by lacertilian »

Yeah, I only use it on some Ficus and sparingly in the vegetable garden, it's always worried me.
I have some Acidic plant fert here which I will use on the azaleas.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hackimoto wrote:
The second flower (the pink with the white edge) I have one of those but have no idea what it is called :lost: Any Ideas :?:
Believe it or not it is called "Dogwood" there is a white cultivar of it called "Dogwood White" https://www.google.com.au/search?q=azal ... iAfk-4DwCQ
Hi Hackimoto , sorry mate but you are mistaken , This is Mrs Kint . I have the Dogwood or did have dogwood you refer too . The flowers are very similar but different , my dogwood actually has both pink and white on the one bush , its the one i'm hoping i haven't lost .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

kcpoole wrote:
lacertilian wrote:hi all, is the dynamic lifter no good due to it's high (alkaline) pH when azaleas like low pH (acidic) soils? I have just bought a couple of starters recently. Cheers
Do Not use Dynamic lifter on Azaleas, and be wary of it on many other trees. ( tropicals seem OK).
I have lost several Azaleas and the only thing I can pin it down to is the application of D.L. when I was trying to find a good Organic pellet fert.

I now use Neutrog "Sudden Impact for Roses" and apply a handful to the soil surface every 6 weeks or so.

Ken
Hi Guys , i use Azalea food or Citrus food only . The display is second to none in the ground and these have had a dose since being ripped out and potted . Dynamic lifter hasn't been used on any bonsai or trainers here .
, might be good for grass but that's about it .

Cheers Alpine
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hackimoto »

alpineart wrote:
Hackimoto wrote:
Hi Hackimoto , sorry mate but you are mistaken , This is Mrs Kint . I have the Dogwood or did have dogwood you refer too . The flowers are very similar but different , my dogwood actually has both pink and white on the one bush , its the one i'm hoping i haven't lost .

Cheers Alpine
Thanks Alpine, You are possibly right, they are very similar, aren't they? I'd love to see them both together and compare exactly what the differences are. :yes:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Hackimoto , mate the dogwood has a more rounded petal and the Mrs Kint has the pointed petal . Its hard to see from pics the actual difference as its ever so slight .I hope i haven't killed the dogwood bi-colour . I recall having 2 bi-colours but the dynamic lifter killed a huge bush.

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

A few more have opened up , while they only have a few flowers , they must be growing .
SANY0120.JPG
SANY0121.JPG
SANY0122.JPG
SANY0125.JPG
Good to see Mrs Kint and Dogwood have made this far .I dont think any more will flower this season but you never know .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hackimoto »

Thanks Alpine, Mrs Kint also seems to have less irregular streaking in the pink area and more white border.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Hackimoto , mate she's a lady , preened a bit better than a dog wood. :yes: . At a glance its easy to see how the can be mistaken , quite a few azalea's have these subtle differences , i have 2 here with the same colour flower mauve center green throat , but one is 90mm the other 40mm .

I remember when i bought them they just had a label "Sun Tolerant" , no mention of Karume or Indica or x media , so now i don't know quite a few of their names and my plan with all the names has long disappeared .

Cheers Alpine
Last edited by alpineart on October 19th, 2012, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Hackimoto, these 2 large flower are on the same plant mauve and white , marked as sun tolerant , the smaller flower was marked as Karume or Indica , smaller leaf more compact bush . Both the Mauve flowers have identical colours and features . I don't know the name of either , maybe its time to put a name to the plants as i will make some labels so i know the colour and variety .

Cheers Alpine
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks Alpine, that has helped me identify my Mrs kint. :tu2:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bodhi , mate this area of Aus is one of the best for the floral display of Azalea's and Rhododendrons i have ever seen . Going out over the weekend to take some pics a few hundred possibly , give you people something to look at and hopefully get some i.d's from some of the members here . I can certainly follow up with some research and use some identification as well .

Cheers Alpine

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”