Prunus Shirotae - Mt Fuji Flowering Cherry

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Prunus Shirotae - Mt Fuji Flowering Cherry

Post by alpineart »

I have removed the flowers and I'm in the process of setting layers over the next few days .
P1100055.JPG
Plenty of growth happening so i have selectively pinched some of the tips out to force some back budding .
P1100056.JPG
If i hit them hard with an all out effort i should have some very good shaped trainers by the end of the growing season . The root cuttings are striking ,
P1100058.JPG
P1100059.JPG
this was the largest surviver from last years effort
P1100060.JPG
, it too needs layering off to a main leader or simply cutting back .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

My workers tell me:
Madam, I tolded you. :lol:
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Neli , my Wife is always telling me no more tree's so layering is just recycling unwanted branches , no good composting them . I have managed to conceal 30 prunus seedling in the vegie garden between the Tomatoes and capsicums . Just waiting for the corn to shoot so i can slip the next batch of crabaples and pears into the middle , I'll declare them as weeds , they will be safe from the boss as she doesn't like gardening .

Cheers Alpine
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

:lol: :cool: ;)
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

P1100069.JPG
P1100070.JPG
P1100071.JPG
The layering is underway and while I could set them all I have decided to rip into a trainer as well .
P1100062.JPG
P1100063.JPG
P1100064.JPG
These have excellent root masses so i have no hesitation in bare rooting them and potting into training pots .
P1100065.JPG
P1100067.JPG
This will be watched carefully and as it back buds the branches will be reduced in length .Not much to look at now but given the season ahead it should begin to look like a pre- bonsai in a few months .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Guy »

are you going to give the branches more movement by pruning over the next few seasons?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Guy , mate i wired it with the intention of bending it like Beckam . I snapped the rear branch in 2 places as they are brittle so it will be done over time with wire and trim and grow . The new green growth is easier to bend than 10-12mm older branches . Very leggy at the moment but they do back bud when pinched .The wire will be allowed to bite right in ageing the trunk , contorting and thickening at the same time .

Cheers Alpine
Last edited by alpineart on September 28th, 2014, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

You did not feel like some chop chop now? The top section of the trunk is longer than the lower one. Btter sooner than later...No?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Neli , chop chop , No , I did on the original trunk last year and the whole long shoot dies off . With the tip pinched it will back bud and then i will chop chop . This My Fuji Cherry is a bit different to all the other cherries i have here cut the end off and it will die back so its easy does it snip snip.

Cheers Alpine
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

OK ! That makes sense...I chopped mine badly in the ground...it shot all over, but must be different one.
Now I am keeping the top growth in check, but cutting it off, so the lower branches grow unrestricted and fatten the lower parts of the trunk.
Last edited by Neli on September 28th, 2014, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Neli , I have cut the other species back hard every year and the power on relentlessly . I set layers on them and none of them produced roots like this species in fact none survived after being severed .

This one has 2 branches lower down which will be the sacrafice branches and the other 2 will form the design . Maybe with its own roots and a bit of vigour I just maybe able to hack them back like the others , just not yet .

Cheers .Alpine
Last edited by alpineart on September 29th, 2014, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Good to know I have to be careful with my other prunus...I have several varieties...so need to take precautions.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

alpineart wrote:Hi Neli , my Wife is always telling me no more tree's so layering is just recycling unwanted branches , no good composting them . I have managed to conceal 30 prunus seedling in the vegie garden between the Tomatoes and capsicums . Just waiting for the corn to shoot so i can slip the next batch of crabaples and pears into the middle , I'll declare them as weeds , they will be safe from the boss as she doesn't like gardening .

Cheers Alpine
Your roof gutters will work too Alpine. That's good space and great catchment for rain. :whistle:
Inspired
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: conifers

Post by Inspired »

alpineart wrote:I have managed to conceal 30 prunus seedling in the vegie garden between the Tomatoes and capsicums . Just waiting for the corn to shoot so i can slip the next batch of crabaples and pears into the middle , I'll declare them as weeds , they will be safe from the boss as she doesn't like gardening . Cheers Alpine
Gotta love your work Alpine haha.. you have the energy and mojo of a yuong buck

I guess it wont be long now till these weeds need to be uprooted, potted and umm perhaps reworked to something more desirable :shifty:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Neli , my other ground growing cherries are like noxious weeds and grow extremely well .

Hi Andrew Legg , mate "been there done that" but they weren't attached to the house i made a wall of them on a fence . I set them up to grow cascades many years ago .

Hi Inspired , mate young buck at heart , but the body tells me different . I have plenty of weeds here , all my stock is weeds collected over time just plenty of variety . One day i will get to knock them into shape or give someone else the opportunity .

Cheers Alpine

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”