Azalea, what are your thoughts?

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Laurie J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Azalea, what are your thoughts?

Post by Laurie J »

Hi!

I purchased this Bonsai last week, and would love your thoughts on it. I am brand new to the world of Bonsai so I hope I can learn with this one. It was already styled when I got it, but if you have ideas on where to go from here it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Laurie

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Mount Nasura
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Azalea, what are your thoughts?

Post by Mount Nasura »

I don't know a much about these however it is still very immature so I would suggest ground growing it or potting in a large tub for a few years. with an idea of what future design you have in mind you can prune accordingly and let it thicken/mature up a bit other wise enjoy it as it is it just won't progress as quickly. Nice photos. :yes:
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Personally, I wouldn't recommend ground growing it, as you state you are new to bonsai. I would first off recommend purchasing starter stock that is about $4 - $6 to trial first off. Not sure what your experience is as far as having a green thumb. But apply the absolute basics: water only when relatively deep down the soil is drying out, keep it outdoors, try to put it in half day sun (morning sun is always better than afternoon sun if you have to choose)... yadda yadda yadda. As far as styling goes, that is one long main straight trunk you got going up the centre there. It would have more character if it curved or had more angles/bends to it. Not sure when it was last repotted, but next time you repot, perhaps scrape away a bit more at the top growth of covering that is growing, to see what you are working with there. Do not repot or trim the roots of a bonsai or cut back hard until you learn more about the species, and the time of year which is best for it.

And on the whole, best advice is join a club, and get hands on advice / experience. Watering and placement in your backyard will be the 2 most threatening things for the bonsai over the next few months. And most importantly, if it dies, you have learned a little bit, and treat like you would a relationship. You don't give up, get out there, get advice and try again.
Last edited by Rory on June 17th, 2014, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Laurie J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Laurie J »

Thanks for the advice guys

I'm a step ahead there, I am joining a club tonight and am attending my first lesson, very excited!

I have them in morning sun, afternoon shade. They are covered from strong winds but the rain still gets to them fine. I am hoping the area I have chosen is sufficient, it took me a day or so to find the right spot!
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Mount Nasura wrote:I don't know a much about these however it is still very immature so I would suggest ground growing it or potting in a large tub for a few years. Nice photos. :yes:
I actually disagree with that as we need to look at the owner first and see what they think and see if we can provide some value add.
You are correct that this needs much more size and development, but when a newbie is advised to stick it in the ground and for a few years then it can be quite off putting.
A new member joins up and shows their pride and joy, does not necessarily need that. If they stick around and join a club or put in learning effort, they will soon learn that anyway :cool:

Even though it is a classic "stick in a pot" https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... k_in_a_pot we can do a little more to help them out.
My advice, is to style and develop this one so they can learn from it and enjoy it at the same time, and go out and buy another one ( or take cutting) to grow on in the ground or large pots, so that they will have something decent to work on in a few years. :-)

This one aint Bonsai, as although it is a small tree in a Pot, it is not a Styled and does not give the illusion of a dwarf tree, https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai , so thus not Bonsai, Not even pre Bonsai.

You can possibly though make something of it in several ways to help you on the way, I add a couple of virts the give some ideas.

The first one is to cut back hard and regrow the branching and foliage which can happen quite quickly to give a noce looking shape and platform for flowers.
The other option is to leave most of the size to give a large tree, but again to clean up and cut back foliage to promote back budding and denser foliage pads.

in both cases, the foliage needs to be cut back to increase ramification and density, and can largely be done in a year or 2.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Mount Nasura
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mount Nasura »

kcpoole wrote:
Mount Nasura wrote:I don't know a much about these however it is still very immature so I would suggest ground growing it or potting in a large tub for a few years. Nice photos. :yes:
I actually disagree with that as we need to look at the owner first….
You are correct that this needs much more size and development, but when a newbie is advised to stick it in the ground and for a few years then it can be quite off putting.

Ken
so you agree… sorry but Laurie put out requests for any comments towards his tree not him. Im sure we can give some credit to people who are new to bonsai to realise what they bought down at the big green shed isn't going to look like it will be on the Ausbonsai banner anytime soon and therefore not be put off by an appropriate option as suggested previously. It was just an option as was enjoying it for what it is now. That said thank you for providing some decent advice/critique/verts.

kind regards Mt Nas.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner

Post by kcpoole »

Mount Nasura wrote:
kcpoole wrote:

Ken
so you agree… sorry but Laurie put out requests for any comments towards his tree not him. Im sure we can give some credit to people who are new to bonsai to realise what they bought down at the big green shed isn't going to look like it will be on the Ausbonsai banner anytime soon and therefore not be put off by an appropriate option as suggested previously. It was just an option as was enjoying it for what it is now. That said thank you for providing some decent advice/critique/verts.

kind regards Mt Nas.
Yes I agree that the tree is immature, but disagree that it needs to go in the ground.
My advice to any newbie is to get 2 trees of this size and put one of them in the ground, but work and display the other one like it is the best tree in the world.
that is what i did with this Baekea of mine here viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13724 I have 2 more purchased at the same time, andwere put in the ground to grow on. I have just lifted one of them and the other will stay for a few more years yet.

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on June 18th, 2014, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner

Post by kcpoole »

Mount Nasura wrote:
kcpoole wrote:

Ken

kind regards Mt Nas.
Yes I agree that the tree is immature, but disagree that it needs to go in the ground.
Yes Laurie asked what we thought of his tree but as he advised he was new and I assume he had just potted it up and as it is to me, better stock than the $15 bunnings specials, he would be expecting and hoping for advice on how to style it rather than the standard comment on how to grow it on for 10 years first.

My advice to any newbie is to get 2 trees of this size and put one of them in the ground, but work and display the other one like it is the best tree in the world. We have to educate new members what actually a Bonsai is rather than a stick in a pot but we can do that by working with what one already has.

This Baekea of mine was the same, viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13724 I have 2 more purchased at the same time, and were put in the ground to grow on. I have just lifted one of them and the other will stay for a few more years yet.
Last edited by kcpoole on June 18th, 2014, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed up formatting
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Mount Nas.... The advice that you gave is worthwhile advice for the tree yes. Generally for a newbie though, I too suggested perhaps not ground growing for the reason that like KC said, it can really put you off, as the instant satisfaction someone new to the hobby will get from having their new tree in a potted container in a 'newbies eyes' is paramount to develop their bond. But, as they get better over the years, they will be thankful for your advice as well Mount Nas, and perhaps even try this as they get better at the art. :D

A wise bonsai master once told me many years ago, that the most common question asked by new bonsai enthusiasts is 'What should i do with this tree?', the first thing she would gauge is, how experienced the person is, and suggest advice relative to this. I pretended to understand, but asked wouldn't it be better to suggest the best advice for the sake of the tree, and they'll thank you for it in the long run. But as she pointed out, 'How many times would you suggest jumping into a swimming pool to learn to swim.' She said it was more important to give basics and instill this first, as most newbies are too head strong to listen to important simple techniques and generally give up the hobby after losing their trees to relatively new mistakes or attempting stock that is too vexing, or something too advanced for them.

Yeah, I completely agree with you KC. For newbies, that is great advice, more elaborate on what I was trying to say too. :tu: I like your 2nd virt. That should give adabelbengal something nice to strive for.
kcpoole wrote: that is what i did with this Baekea of mine here viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13724 I have 2 more purchased at the same time, andwere put in the ground to grow on. I have just lifted one of them and the other will stay for a few more years yet.

Ken
Holy Shishkabob! :o I absolutely love that Baekea and the progression you posted on it.... wow. Very nice Ken! I am :mrgreen: with envy. Now I am hating you for that post. I have way, way too much stock already, and can't be shown new tantalizing things. :evil:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Mount Nasura
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mount Nasura »

I think your suggestion of utilising the ground grow or tub with a second tree and enjoying the first as bonsai is excellent. I must concur that your expanded reasoning has a lot of merit and appreciate your advice, will consider this approach to new trees/new enthusiasts in future!
Laurie J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Laurie J »

I can't thank you all enough, I love the passion we have here! I love the idea of a smaller tree, it was something I was considering because it's just too straight and uninteresting at the moment. What is the best time of year to do this?

I have a baby Azalea that I will definitely be putting in a much bigger pot/in the ground. That way I can watch him grow while I learn a little more on this one.

Oh, and btw, I'm female :lol: Don't worry, I am also in the car industry, and most of my car show and drag meet entries are addressed to MR Laurie!
Mount Nasura
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mount Nasura »

adabelbengals wrote:I can't thank you all enough, I love the passion we have here!

Oh, and btw, I'm female :lol: Don't worry, I am also in the car industry, and most of my car show and drag meet entries are addressed to MR Laurie!
My apologies for the assumption! :oops:
Laurie J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Laurie J »

No problems, it happens almost on a daily basis! Gives me a good laugh!
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner

Post by kcpoole »

adabelbengals wrote:I can't thank you all enough, I love the passion we have here! I love the idea of a smaller tree, it was something I was considering because it's just too straight and uninteresting at the moment. What is the best time of year to do this?
Any time the tree is actively growing. I do most major work on Azalea in Spring and after flowering.
I use this as my guide to what to do when, https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... hould_I%3F

adabelbengals wrote: I have a baby Azalea that I will definitely be putting in a much bigger pot/in the ground. That way I can watch him grow while I learn a little more on this one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by kcpoole on June 18th, 2014, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Laurie J »

Hi all,

Having a minor freak out, hoping it's okay. In the first pics you can see some yellowing on the leaves. This has been getting worse over the last week or so. I am not overwatering and haven't given it anything other than Seasol (once when the first pics were taken). It is flowering well, with new flowers open as well as a few more starting to bud.

Is this normal?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”