LARGE QUINCE

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Prunus, Malus, Quince, Elms
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: LARGE QUINCE

Post by astroboy76 »

i was really lucky. i went to ray nesci's nursery in dural last weekend and he had just put it out for sale the day before so i snatched it up. it is actually a chinese quince. there are two main types of quince, one is a small spiny shrub commonly known as japanese quince. i have a few of these as well. then there is Pseudocydonia sinensis, chinese quince which grows as a tree. same leaves and flowers and fruit, just bigger!
Diversity is essential
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Bonbon wrote:I believe this is a Japanese Flowering Quince, right?

Where did you get it from?

I have two quince myself but rather thin and tall. Good flowers, though. Would love to get a thick trunk one if possible.
JFQ sucker a lot and don't thicken very well. Its why you see them styled as clumps.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by astroboy76 »

i was thinking fo cutting this quince off just after the mnain two bends in the trunk. i drew this diagram of what i am hoping to achieve. i added the cut mark as well, let me know your thoughts...
untitled.JPG
qzkopi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by astroboy76 on August 19th, 2009, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diversity is essential
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

That's where I would layer, setting up on of those thin branches up to be the new leader. From there it takes time to thicken it up .
Young and hostile but not stupid.
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by astroboy76 »

ok people, its about a year since i purchased this quince and it is coming along nicely. leaps and bounds actually. it ramifies amazingly. every node shoots out a new branch which in turn does the same. its hard keeping up with it. took me an hour to wire today. there are some obvious things that are still required, and its a long way off to make this tree close to being what i would call a great tree but im getting there. all i need is time hehe.

from the original pics earlier in this post i trunk chopped it and trained a new leader. unfortunately the new leader was snapped by my dog so i am now training yet another new leader. will take another year or two until i get the gradual taper of the trunk. this tree grows phenominally. in one year the first new leader was the circumference of a ten cent coin. at that rate two years will give me great gradual taper. i am also currently letting the ends of the branches extend to thicken them so the tree is looking a little out of sorts and the dodgey phone pics dont really show how well this tree is coming along but thought i would share its progress with you all anyway.

the actual trunk size is about as round as a coke can. oh, and the peeling bark is just a natural feature of the chinese quince :)

the first two pics were taken 3 weeks ago after i gave it a good hard prune to stimulate a burst in growth to help thicken it all up. the following pics i took today after wiring. i just wish i had a better setup to take pics. these dont do the tree any justice at all :o

so in short this is a definate long term project but its coming along brilliantly i think :)
front.JPG
side.JPG
side2.JPG
topview.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by astroboy76 on November 21st, 2010, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diversity is essential
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by astroboy76 »

here is another pic of the other side taken a few weeks ago after hard
side3.jpg
Diversity is essential

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”