Satsuki in a pumice block...

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.
Bonsai Age: 10

Satsuki in a pumice block...

Post by fredman »

Thought i'll share this with you. Got this two pumice blocks looking at me for a while. I used the smaller one to plant a satsuki 'fuji mori' in. The roots grows readily into the pumice. I dip it into a bucket to water. Takes about 10min to saturate. I had to cover it with mesh to keep a damn bird out, and to anchor it in place. In two years time it will be covered in moss (like the last photo of a different satsuki) then I will remove the mesh. The bigger one I will use to do a landscape with three Portulacaria afra on top of a hill. Will do that later....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Re: Satsuki in a pumice block...

Post by rodm »

Hi Friedman
Love the idea. Where did you get the pumice rocks from. I suppose any plant can be used? Would like to know more
Cheers Rod
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

Hi Rod. I'm in NZ. We pick them up along certain rivers and lakes. Lots of smaller ones but have to do some searching for the bigger ones. I haven't used it on other trees, but I suppose any plant with a fine root structure will do... :yes:
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Hey Fredman, what a brilliant idea. Keep us updated on them please. Does this count as Ishi-zuki?
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

Thanks Andrew. I sure will keep it updated. No I don't think it really qualifies. Maybe on a entry level ;)
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

You're welcome, how often do you come across these pumice blocks? Willing to sell one?

I like the reclamation of the moss!
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

Andrew I planted some moss on the first one to cover the soil on top. Turned out I didn't need to. Here in NZ moss grows on everything in winter. This one I will leave as is so it covers itself naturally.

I brought a few home when I went fishing at a stage, but don't do that no more. My son is out almost every weekend and he does come across them. He brought me the smaller one. I can ask him to bring some more. You will have to find out if its allowed into Aussie through customs. I will email my customs tomorrow to hear if i'm allowed to send it out from here before we get to excited...... :yes:
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

fredman wrote:Andrew I planted some moss on the first one to cover the soil on top. Turned out I didn't need to. Here in NZ moss grows on everything in winter.
Kiwi problems ^^^ I feel sorry for you, not :shake: :shake: :shake: purely because its been too dry here for me and most of my moss turns black on a daily basis. :lol: Hoping the pumice holds the moisture and nutrients better than regular pots.

fredman wrote:I brought a few home when I went fishing at a stage, but don't do that no more. My son is out almost every weekend and he does come across them. He brought me the smaller one. I can ask him to bring some more. You will have to find out if its allowed into Aussie through customs. I will email my customs tomorrow to hear if i'm allowed to send it out from here before we get to excited...... :yes:
Thanks alot Fredman I appreciate it and look forward to hearing from you.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive

Post by peterb »

Hey Fredman
What a novel idea :clap: i really like that . I remember picking one up along a river on the North island when the missus and i were there in 98 ( we were doing the look see and decide trip from south africa ), and i was amazed at how light it was and the tour bus driver getting us with the rock that floats trick ;) wish we could get some here in south oz
regards
peterb
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

Peter. Yeah they are surprisingly light. There is many different structured ones to. Some with more open pores and some that are denser. I literally have to push and hold it under with force for it to saturate. On my Dec holiday on the North island coast I picked up buckets full of the smaller ones on the beach. Don't even know what to do with it. Even got a pink one.... :palm:

Andrew. It keeps moisture and nutrient well. Satsuki loves pumice. The block ones grow just as good as the potted ones. My best potted growing Satsuki is one I have planted in pure pumice (6mm). It outgrew all the ones planted in normal bonsai soil. When I fertilize I add it to the bucket that I dip the watering can in. When I dip the block in there it soaks it up readily. Like I said it takes a while to saturate. When its fully saturated and I remove it, it does not drip. It just holds all that water. I dip it every 3-5 days in summer and very little in winter. It rains a lot where I am in winter.
Last edited by fredman on March 5th, 2015, 7:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

Peter good to know you are also a looker seear :cool: Gees mate I miss those Acacias. Even had dreams about them :palm: :crybye: :D ....
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

Thats interesting to know, Ive been meaning to cross over to pumice in lieu of the crappy diatomite doing the rounds atm. :yes:
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

Andrew I sent you a PM...
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive

Post by peterb »

Hey Fredman
Where about in SA are you from , i'm from stanger ( blythedale beach ), really loved NZ but the missus couldn't get into uni there and money looked better in oz. we've enjoyed living in adelaide but we've found tassie and absoluetly love it just need to find a decent job down there ( rocking horse dung appears to be easier to find though :palm: ) . i miss the fever trees we used to get up zululand way
kind regards
peterb
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

Peter. I'm from Pta. I absolutely love the north coast. Went fishing there regularly. Best place in SA for me...!
Yeah I have seen Tassie on TV. Will suit me fine. Fantastic trees there. Talk about fever trees. Its about the only Acacia that is allowed into NZ. I imported some seeds that I germinated last year. They are growing well. Don't think it will be easy for bonsai but I just cant stop myself. I'll be planting some in the ground next year. Have also grown Bolusantus speciosus (tree wisteria). They will make an excellent bonsai.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”