dwarf crape myrtle reduction

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

dwarf crape myrtle reduction

Post by greggles »

Hi All,

picked up this dwarf crepe myrtle today from the nursery and was hoping to train it into a bonsai. Has some nice thick lower branches so I'm hopefully it should turn out nice.

My question is when should i do the reduction/pruning as i'm wanting to chop it down to size. I have read that reductions should be done when the plant is still growing how ever i have also read that pruning on these should be done in winter/spring. should i do the reductions now or wait until next year?

thanks in advance

Greg
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: dwarf crape myrtle reduction

Post by Watto »

My experience with these is that they don't appreciate a hard prune in winter. I prune mine from October to about now, then leave it to flower. Wire in the winter, but only leave the wire on for a short period of time - maybe two months. They look a bit "ratty" when in flower, but beautiful just the same.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greggles »

Watto wrote:My experience with these is that they don't appreciate a hard prune in winter. I prune mine from October to about now, then leave it to flower. Wire in the winter, but only leave the wire on for a short period of time - maybe two months. They look a bit "ratty" when in flower, but beautiful just the same.
Thanks watto. I think I'll get to work on it tomorrow.

I have attached a few photos bellow. I think it should turn out pretty good. :)
2015-12-06 21.07.48.jpg
2015-12-06 21.07.10.jpg
Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greggles »

Ok so this is my plan.

I plan to place the tree into a larger pot tonight with bonsai soil and hundreds of holes in the side like a colander. Only question is should I loosen the root ball and old soil before I place it in the new pot or should I just put it in as is and wait till spring next year to loosen the root ball and maybe do some pruning?

Once in the bigger pot I'll cut down the larger protruding branches I don't want.

Early spring next year I plan on doing some root pruning and placing it into a training pot like a pond basket.

Leave it in the training pot for a further year and root prune in 2017 spring and place into a bonsai pot.

I know things don't always go to plan but this is just a rough plan I have in my head and I want to see if I'm on the right track.

Cheers

Greg

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Only question is should I loosen the root ball and old soil before I place it in the new pot or should I just put it in as is and wait till spring next year to loosen the root ball and maybe do some pruning?
You can gently tease out the outer roots with fingers, even cut a few if they are really tight, just to get some of them to grow out into the new mix. Then do a proper root prune early next spring.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
phillicondor
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus

Post by phillicondor »

Hi all Just been looking for advice on repot times for a crepe myrtle. I've got a couple and I've done some research that said mid summer for repotting but it wasn't an Australian site. I was watching for bud swell this spring to repot then but missed it and I reckon they need a new pot. The top was growing like crazy but is slowing down.
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greggles »

phillicondor wrote:Hi all Just been looking for advice on repot times for a crepe myrtle. I've got a couple and I've done some research that said mid summer for repotting but it wasn't an Australian site. I was watching for bud swell this spring to repot then but missed it and I reckon they need a new pot. The top was growing like crazy but is slowing down.
I've only just started off in the hobby but seems like early spring is the time to replant? I could be wrong.

Gave mine a heavy prune today to hopefully get some back budding happening and improve the shape.
2015-12-15 21.56.42.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Hows the tree going?
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greggles »

no idea wrote:Hows the tree going?
Trees going pretty well. Photo attached is from the begining of February so its don't quite a bit of growing since then. Will take a photo of the bare winter branches tomorrow.

Trying to decide if I should leave it in the big pot or move it into a bonsai pot in the next few weeks. Any suggestions every one?

Cheers

Greg

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Trying to decide if I should leave it in the big pot or move it into a bonsai pot in the next few weeks. Any suggestions every one?
you'll get a whole range of opinions on that question. :imo: It depends whether you are satisfied with the tree the way it is. Usually trees in bonsai pots grow much slower so trunk thickness almost stops so if you think you want a fatter trunk or a taller tree I'd suggest leaving it in a grow pot.
If you are happy with it now and want a 'proper bonsai' them put it into a pot . Now is a good time to do it if you go this way.
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greggles »

shibui wrote:
you'll get a whole range of opinions on that question. :imo: It depends whether you are satisfied with the tree the way it is. Usually trees in bonsai pots grow much slower so trunk thickness almost stops so if you think you want a fatter trunk or a taller tree I'd suggest leaving it in a grow pot.
If you are happy with it now and want a 'proper bonsai' them put it into a pot . Now is a good time to do it if you go this way.
Thanks shibui.

Yeah happy with height and thickness just want to densen the foliage. Is there a large difference with grow pots and bonsai pots when talking about increasing the density of the foliage? Have made some really good process so far.

Think I may need to graft another branch on the left upper/middle trunk though. It's all filling out except around thereally

Cheers Greg

greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greggles »

Quick update. Reported today love it! Image

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Is there a large difference with grow pots and bonsai pots when talking about increasing the density of the foliage?
Sorry Greggles. I missed this question at the time.
:imo: there are 2 differences between large and small pots in regard to developing density.
1. Large pots allow more growth. More growth means you can pinch/prune more often. Each time a shoot is trimmed it stimulates new buds which increases ramification and therefore density. In other words a large pot can produce foliage density quicker :tu:
2. Large pots allow more vigorous growth. This often means long internodes. If the internodes are too long you cannot get good shoot density because new shoots in most species come from the nodes. I often end up cutting spring growth of Japanese maples right back to the base because the first node is too long. A smaller pot will often restrict growth so that internodes are shorter so you can get density more easily, even though it may take longer.

There are a lot of swings and roundabouts in growing bonsai. Something can have a positive affect in one area but a negative affect on another aspect of the tree. When looking at my trees, the best are those that have been developed slowly in small post. These are not the largest trees but are more elegant and refined. mind you, they have taken more than 20 years to get to that stage.
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greggles »

shibui wrote:
Is there a large difference with grow pots and bonsai pots when talking about increasing the density of the foliage?
Sorry Greggles. I missed this question at the time.
:imo: there are 2 differences between large and small pots in regard to developing density.
1. Large pots allow more growth. More growth means you can pinch/prune more often. Each time a shoot is trimmed it stimulates new buds which increases ramification and therefore density. In other words a large pot can produce foliage density quicker :tu:
2. Large pots allow more vigorous growth. This often means long internodes. If the internodes are too long you cannot get good shoot density because new shoots in most species come from the nodes. I often end up cutting spring growth of Japanese maples right back to the base because the first node is too long. A smaller pot will often restrict growth so that internodes are shorter so you can get density more easily, even though it may take longer.

There are a lot of swings and roundabouts in growing bonsai. Something can have a positive affect in one area but a negative affect on another aspect of the tree. When looking at my trees, the best are those that have been developed slowly in small post. These are not the largest trees but are more elegant and refined. mind you, they have taken more than 20 years to get to that stage.
Thanks so much for this response. Pretty happy to have moves it into a smaller pot as I'm happy with slower growth but increasing the chance for it to be more dense. I wow constantly trimming long growth last season and wouldn't mind a slower year.

Getting married in January and will be moving out of home so wont have the space anymore.. putting it in a pretry pot increases my chances of the future wife being happy to have them on the unit balcony :p (yes I'm serious).

Excitd to see the foliage and flowers this summer. Will post pics when they come through.

Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

I really like the way you have your tree headed....just wondering if your first branch will get shaded out by the canopy?

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”