Wisteria

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
CraigM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Waverley, Vic Native and BSV

Re: Wisteria

Post by CraigM »

Thanks Ken, like the way the shape of your tree presents the flowers.

Thanks for info on repotting as well, will keep in mind for future. Potting before buds burst also seems to work, have not seen any signs of stress, will see how the tree transitions from flowering to foliage.
CraigM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by CraigM »

Flowers are still opening, should be in full bloom soon. Moved the tree to the patio out from the rain, noticed flowers falling off when tree is bumped or if you touch the flower raceme.

Is this normal behaviour, or could the flowers be more fragile due to recent repot, or rainy weather?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Craig, well 4 weeks later like I said and your flowers are showing. How many flower buds did you get? They are delicate before they open. However, I have not had them fall that easily. Could be more brittle due to the rain we have been having. :lost: How much of the root ball did you remove when you repotted? Also how much are you watering? They aren't that thirsty yet, not until the leaf burst.
Cheers
Susan
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
CraigM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by CraigM »

Thanks Susan, your timing was spot on :yes:

When I re-potted think I removed just over a third of the roots. The tree is starting to push out leaves as well. Counted around 33 flowers, couple smaller ones that are still not open. Was concerned the rain was too much which is why I moved it, seems to have stopped dropping flowers today. Going to try and take the tree to Waverley meeting Tuesday.

Tree was watered with the rest of the trees in the morning, the mix is free draining, with all the flowers did not want to risk the tree drying out.

Is there such a thing as too many flowers, would it make sense to thin them out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Craig, flowers aren't drawing too much water. Water as you would any other deciduous plant during this time of year. Sounds like you didn't remove too much root ball so thats good. I would say its just been too wet. As for too many flowers never! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The flowers are short lived so enjoy them. Only water when you know the soil is starting to dry out due wind or now that it is warming up. Don't allow it to completely dry out.
Once the flowers are in their final stages water, feed, water, full sun, water, repeat. I have mine sitting in water during summer. If the tray dries out within a day or two it wilts. Fill tray and its fine within a few hours. Mid Jan I feed Tomato feed or similar for flowers. Feed often even weekly, feed until leaf fall then just water as for deciduous plants during winter. Look forward to seeing it Tuesday.
Cheers
Susan
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Piolo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Piolo »

Hi, any updates? Is your wisteria flowering every year after repot? Have you learned about wisteria since them?
How do wisteria ramify?
I got a big one (1.3mts H) which is full of flower buds and opening, repotted this week into a better pot but not as deep and wider (0.25m H X 0.4 D) removed about 1/3 of soil and roots into 70& substrate 30%compost soil. Like yours I was surprised to find mostly fine roots since I thought they had strong thick roots.
Great post thx u. :yes:

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”