Crab Apple

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Crab Apple

Post by shibui »

I grafted and grew this tree long ago with far less knowledge and skills so the styling is a bit rough but it now flowers and produces fruits most years now. Spring flowering on this tree is quite spectacular.

A couple of reasons for the post:
1. A flower has suddenly opened, even though it is autumn. Sporadic flowers in summer and autumn is not unusual but worth showing I thought.
2. Parrots have already eaten all the apples off all the crabapple trees in the garden so these probably won't be here long enough to ripen properly to their full golden yellow so enjoy it while the apples are still here.
crabaple 2017 3 1.JPG
crabaple 2017 3 2.JPG
Fruit of this variety are around 6mm diameter so they look appropriate for a bonsai this size.
crabaple 2017 3 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryozo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Crab Apple

Post by Ryozo »

Looks good! Can't wait to get myself a crab apple tree.
James93A
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by James93A »

shibui wrote:I grafted and grew this tree long ago with far less knowledge and skills so the styling is a bit rough but it now flowers and produces fruits most years now. Spring flowering on this tree is quite spectacular.

A couple of reasons for the post:
1. A flower has suddenly opened, even though it is autumn. Sporadic flowers in summer and autumn is not unusual but worth showing I thought.
2. Parrots have already eaten all the apples off all the crabapple trees in the garden so these probably won't be here long enough to ripen properly to their full golden yellow so enjoy it while the apples are still here.
crabaple 2017 3 1.JPG
crabaple 2017 3 2.JPG
Fruit of this variety are around 6mm diameter so they look appropriate for a bonsai this size.
crabaple 2017 3 3.JPG
Hey that looks awesome Shibui. I've got one but it never fruits this much, what fertiliser are you using on it?
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

i think i need to get down your way and get at least one pre-bonsai :whistle:
toshtony
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Post by toshtony »

Very nice tree Neil and perfect timing. I'm hoping I can get the 2 you sent me and a couple I got from local nursery to survive the operation I will give them in a few weeks time. :fc:

Trees are looking very healthy so once weather cools down I will give them a major root prune and trunk chop but where I plan to trunk chop there is no branch below it. :palm:

Oh and incase your not aware Neil has a bunch of different types of trees that are not listed on his website. So far he's had everything I've requested, they always arrived healthy, continue to flourish, roots treated and very well priced.
Always a pleasure to deal with and the info you get from him is invaluable. So if your looking for something in particular don't be afraid to ask him, send him a pm.

Thanks Neil
Last edited by toshtony on March 1st, 2017, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

toshtony wrote:Oh and incase your not aware Neil has a bunch of different types of trees that are not listed on his website. So far he's had everything I've requested, they always arrived healthy, continue to flourish, roots treated and very well priced.
Always a pleasure to deal with and the info you get from him is invaluable. So if your looking for something in particular don't be afraid to ask him, send him a pm.

Thanks Neil
If you enjoy the trees you get shipped Tony I suggest you take the drive up. I'm in the west of Melbourne too and I can assure you that you won't regret the trip up to stop in at his Nursery in person. A stop in at Beachworth or Bright can be a good insentive to get the better half involved 8-)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on March 1st, 2017, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toshtony
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by toshtony »

Pearcy001 wrote:
toshtony wrote:Oh and incase your not aware Neil has a bunch of different types of trees that are not listed on his website. So far he's had everything I've requested, they always arrived healthy, continue to flourish, roots treated and very well priced.

Thanks Neil
If you enjoy the trees you get shipped Tony I suggest you take the drive up. I'm in the west of Melbourne too and I can assure you that you won't regret the trip up to stop in at his Nursery in person. A stop in at Beachworth or Bright can be a good insentive to get the better half involved 8-)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Lol I'm gradually training the better half, last week went to geelong to pick up a tree, this weekend going to Daylesford for a family retreat hoping to visit Bodhi at the same time. Have a 3 month year old aswell so will need to wait until he's a little older before we can make that long trip, but yeah it's on my need to do list.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

Hi Neil, what species is that, Malus sieboldii?
Cheers,Symon
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I have no idea of the species or variety Symon. It has pinkish buds and masses of white flowers so I thought maybe M. floribunda but I have never even bothered to go deep enough into the attributes of each of the species to check. The material originally came from Nell Saffin in Melbourne about 30 years ago. She ran a semi-commercial bonsai nursery and I helped her graft flowering spurs onto seedlings each spring. Those grafts flower as soon as spring comes so were readily saleable in short time to suit commercial needs. This is one of the ones I grafted at that time but I planted it in the ground and let it grow a bit.

I am pleased that it has small fruit and I just enjoy it for the 2 shows each year.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

I suppose it doesn't matter what it is as long as it has those super small fruit. The reason I ask if it was sieboldii is that this is the one that the Japanese use.
kokufu apple.jpg
Cheers, Symon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Probably floribunda - the fruit is the same as on mine, although you have more. Mine has only ever fruited in Canberra - maybe it's the cold winters.

Gavin
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

It is crab apple time again :D

This crab had lots of fruit this year - probably the best crop it has ever had.
crab apple 2018 3 .JPG
Apologies for the background. It has been too windy to put down the photo backdrop and the birds have finished the fruit on the trees in the garden and have started to take a few of these so there'll be none left in a week.
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus Procumbens
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Post by The Munt »

Love that tree Shibui. It’s lovely. Those birds must be annoying I haven’t got any fruiting trees yet. :lost:
It’s all about the new experience!
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

:tu: Very nice!! I wish trees like that would thrive here in Qld. They survive for the most part, but don't thrive. But on the other hand we have a lot up here that would not like your cold winters.
Cheers, Frank.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Great crop of fruit Shibui , Tree looks pretty good to. Cheers John.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”