KIRKY's Flowering apricot

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: KIRKY's Flowering apricot

Post by melbrackstone »

What a stunner KIRKY! Yes a huge tease for those of us who want our own!

Sounds like you need someone with a camera to visit your collection. :)
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Thanks Mel, my pics dont do it justice I sorry to say :palm: need to practice more I think.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Love the flowering Apricot's and this has a beautiful trunkline. I am also a wannabe for these. What is the height Kirky?
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Much better!
kfa.jpeg
kfa2.jpeg
kfa3.jpeg
How long since a repot Kirky?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
apgar000
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by apgar000 »

Nice [CLAPPING HANDS SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN] how old??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Great job Kirky! Looking the goods indeed.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Thanks Mike, the larger pic's are easier to view thank you for your assist.
Last repotted 2015 it will be repotted this year after flowering and trimmed back. One thing I would like to know can I use these cuttings? I know to take cuttings late Spring for propagation, just wanted to know if I can use these too?

Bodhi it is currently including pot about 70cm tall. I will be cutting it back to about 50cm once the flowers are done back to a leaf bud.

apgarr not sure how old it is I got this beauty just over a year ago from John Henry.

Thanks Pearcy, I'm a lucky girl, Wedding Anniversary pressie from the hubby who constantly tells me I have too many trees.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Absolutely beautiful, what a great pressie!

I'd be trying the cuttings, for sure. Good luck!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

I can fill in a bit of the history of this tree.
It was grafted at some stage. I think about 15 years ago or so. I had three varieties at one stage. A double pink similar to this maybe a bit darker, the weeping form that we commonly see around the place - also pink, and a double white. I did a few crosses between these three and ended up with this and a similar flower ( but white) which were the best of the bunch. They were grafted on to seedlings of the same batch. I still have the original plant of this variety in the ground which is now giving me lots of fruit/seed. I have tried semi-hardwood cuttings and hardwood without too much luck. It's not easy from cuttings but possible. It's unlikely they will strike from flowered branches but worth a try rather than throwing them out. Haven't tried layering but I might this year. There are a few specimens from this batch floating around now. Probably around eight or so.
I stopped doing them for a few years because no one seemed too interested. But now of course everybody wants one and I have none and not many people do. So I'm starting all over again. I would STRONGLY advise anyone who sees one to grab it because you may never get another chance. The price for something this size is now quite high but well worth the temporary pain. I would now value this tree at $3000 if not more.
Mike
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Bonbon »

treeman wrote:I can fill in a bit of the history of this tree.
It was grafted at some stage. I think about 15 years ago or so. I had three varieties at one stage. A double pink similar to this maybe a bit darker, the weeping form that we commonly see around the place - also pink, and a double white. I did a few crosses between these three and ended up with this and a similar flower ( but white) which were the best of the bunch. They were grafted on to seedlings of the same batch. I still have the original plant of this variety in the ground which is now giving me lots of fruit/seed. I have tried semi-hardwood cuttings and hardwood without too much luck. It's not easy from cuttings but possible. It's unlikely they will strike from flowered branches but worth a try rather than throwing them out. Haven't tried layering but I might this year. There are a few specimens from this batch floating around now. Probably around eight or so.
I stopped doing them for a few years because no one seemed too interested. But now of course everybody wants one and I have none and not many people do. So I'm starting all over again. I would STRONGLY advise anyone who sees one to grab it because you may never get another chance. The price for something this size is now quite high but well worth the temporary pain. I would now value this tree at $3000 if not more.

Really a stunning tree. $3000 is a bargain if you are willing to sell :clap:
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

I often browse Chinese bonsai forum. Funny thing is prunus mume , prunus Persica etc are very common and very cheap in China. Our quarantine law isolated us from all the best material from the world esp China and Japan.
Just bought one in Sydney for $250. The same tree in China should be around $50 RMB which is A$10.
Sometimes I really envy of the Americans and other countries one can pack trees in the luggage with soil and bring them back to their country. :oops:
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

One stupid question,

The Prunus Mume I saw in the internet and including this lovely one, most of them the branches are all straight and growing in all directions. Can't they be styled too? Flower is the main attraction of this species but the placement and movement of the branches should boost the tree too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

Like the difference of these two
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Bonbon wrote:I often browse Chinese bonsai forum. Funny thing is prunus mume , prunus Persica etc are very common and very cheap in China. Our quarantine law isolated us from all the best material from the world esp China and Japan.
Just bought one in Sydney for $250. The same tree in China should be around $50 RMB which is A$10.
Sometimes I really envy of the Americans and other countries one can pack trees in the luggage with soil and bring them back to their country. :oops:
Tell me about it! I did try to buy ume seeds from China - not expecting much. They sent me Chiomnanthus praecox. Any add from china or Hong Kong selling ume seeds will send you Ch praecox. It was worth a try. Can we see the tree you got in Sydney?? (there are very few good Ume bonsai in the US)
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Bonbon wrote:One stupid question,

The Prunus Mume I saw in the internet and including this lovely one, most of them the branches are all straight and growing in all directions. Can't they be styled too? Flower is the main attraction of this species but the placement and movement of the branches should boost the tree too.
Yes they can but with difficulty. Especially the developed forms as apposed to the wild one. Branches sometimes have only 1 or 2 buds so there is often not much to work with. Wiring needs to be done with the leaves on because they are extremely brittle. You have to cut back hard each year for the first decade to get good ''wild'' movement. Any time spent on them is worth it.

Wild type...The bloke up in QLd was selling seedlings of this type on ebay. I got one.
floapr2.JPG
Red cultivated variety
floapr.JPG
Weeping variety ?
mb3 - Copy.PNG
All good
Mike

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”