Japanese Currant

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Japanese Currant

Post by Thymetraveller »

Yesterday I stumbled on a bunch of pots labeled Japanese Currant at a nursery. One of them had a great trunk for a shohin - fat, gnarled grey bark, great movement....

As is my usual MO, I hit google to check for viability as bonsai, but was unable to find anything about this variety. Plenty of currants seem to be grown in Japan, but of several varietiies common elsewhere.

As far as bonsai is concerned there seemed to be few examples, with poor leaf reduction given as the reason not to try. This always strikes me as a bit if a cop out with flowering and fruiting bonai , as surely the blooms and fruits are the point of the tree!

Anyway, can anyone clue me up on Japanese Currants, or indeed currants in general as bonsai; when to pot, how they respond to root pruning, any special requirements etc.

I will probably grab it and give it a go anyhow as the trunk was gorgeous - no pics as the venue was fairly identifiable and I wouldn't want anyone beating me to it!!!

Thanks in advance,

TT
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Japanese Currant

Post by Thymetraveller »

Couldn't resist. Here it is!
IMG_20170723_211524.jpg
A close up of the fat little trunk...
IMG_20170723_211556.jpg
Which pot?
Depends partly on the roots
IMG_20170723_211621.jpg
This Pat Kennedy pot works well...
IMG_20170723_211957.jpg
IMG_20170723_211708.jpg
A 17 year old flowering currant, grown by Megumi Bennet from seed imported from Japan, rising dramatically from a Pat Kennedy pot.
Can I get an Amen?

I like the tension of the tree trunks sprouting upwards from the initial movement. In terms of development, I'll be looking to maintain a tight, almost Christmas-tree-like, isosceles triangle.

Let's see how it goes!
[/color].
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thymetraveller on July 23rd, 2017, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Wikipedia lists Ribes fasciculatum as Japanese currant (There are also varieties of the same species in China and Korea).
This article might give you a little more info.
http://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinNa ... sciculatum
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Thymetraveller »

Thank you Shibui!!!
I'll be watching to see what colour the flowers are, which will help with identification...

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”