White quince

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

White quince

Post by treeman »

Potted about 25 years
23cm
P1110370.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Re: White quince

Post by Thymetraveller »

:tu: :tu: :tu:
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Looks good. You going to keep the sucker?
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Bonbon »

Beautiful tree and moody photography too. :clap: :clap: :clap:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Daluke wrote:Looks good. You going to keep the sucker?
Probably. As you can see with this and the red one, these Chinese flowering quinces refuse to branch even after thirty years so I'll take all the lines I can get. I'm going to try cutting two years of growth off the red one to see if that stimulates ramification of some kind. However at least the trunk is 30mm thick now.
Last edited by treeman on August 5th, 2017, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

The white quince 6 years later...
I have found that if you have a build up of root knot nematodes in your quince the following seems to work..
Trim the roots well and wash all the soil off under pressure. Cut off all the galls you can find regardless of their size. Soak the root ball and the lower part of the trunk in a solution of 1 part lime sulphur to 30 parts water for about 15 minutes. Drain, dry off and plant into a soil which you are sure is not contaminated. Last year and from now, on I prepare my mix for the quinces in summer before potting and solarize in plastic bags in the hot sun until the soil in the bag gets almost too hot to touch. I will then be nematode free. I have been plagued by them for years. If they are not controlled they can kill a prized plant eventually. If you don't have nematode trouble you are very lucky!
20230717_162216.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Gorgeous little Quince Mike thanks for sharing. Re the nematodes do they attack all species or just some?
Is there anything to stop them if you find them on your roots. Would you be able to water them with anything like you do for curl crumb?
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

KIRKY wrote: July 26th, 2023, 10:14 am Gorgeous little Quince Mike thanks for sharing. Re the nematodes do they attack all species or just some?
Is there anything to stop them if you find them on your roots. Would you be able to water them with anything like you do for curl crumb?
Cheers
Kirky
They mainly attack flowering quince but I have seem them on Pyracantha a couple of times and a few other things.
There is no ''nematocide'' available to the home gardener anymore. No pesticide will touch them.
Mike
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Thanks for the tip, Mike. They can also infest Crab Apples.

Gavin
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Do you use a black plastic bag (so it heats up more) or a clear plastic bag (direct sunlight onto the soil to cleanse)?

Also, am I correct in assuming it's only necessary to treat the organic component(s) - e.g.: pine bark? No need to treat the inorganic (pumice, scoria, sand, zeolite, etc.)?
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Mike, with the solarisation, is all the “beneficial” bacteria killed too?

What spreads the nematodes - is just reusing soil or unhygienic tools etc?
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: July 27th, 2023, 8:12 pm Do you use a black plastic bag (so it heats up more) or a clear plastic bag (direct sunlight onto the soil to cleanse)?

Also, am I correct in assuming it's only necessary to treat the organic component(s) - e.g.: pine bark? No need to treat the inorganic (pumice, scoria, sand, zeolite, etc.)?
You should assume that all material is infested (except maybe perlite or other manufactured things)
Use a clear plastic bag, moisten the material so it's evenly moist but not dripping wet. Lay it out in the full sun on a hot day and spread it out flat so the mix is about 50-100mm thick and fold over the top of the bag to seal in the heat. @ Daluke, It will not kill beneficial bacteria if it remains below 60 degrees or so. I let it get as hot as it wants. Probably a lot more than 60 because sometimes I can't put my hand in it for more than a few seconds. It does not seem to kill weed seeds though. 50 degrees for a couple of hours will kill nematodes. There is always enough bacteria on the roots to repopulate the mix. Nematodes are spread by unclean tools, hands, pots, and soil which contains them. I run my tools over a flame for a couple of seconds before I cut the roots of a healthy quince.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

GavinG wrote: July 27th, 2023, 2:43 pm Thanks for the tip, Mike. They can also infest Crab Apples.

Gavin
I was just reading about that this morning. Apparently some apple root stocks are susceptible but it's not common. You want to watch for woolly aphid on apples. They can also cause knots and galls. The same treatment should work but they might be easily re-infested if the roots are to their liking. Luckily I seem to have avoided those so far. I use seedling crabapple for the stock.
Mike

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”