digging satsuki Azealeas

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

digging satsuki Azealeas

Post by Matthew »

Just a few questions to members who have experience with Satsuki azealeas. I have been looking for decent shohin ones for some time with little luck so 6 years ago I decided to try and grow my own . All these were started from cuttings I acquired off Cambewarra bonsai when they were open . Wade had a few rippers there but at that time I lived in central queensland and that climate would of killed them for sure so I never purchased any. when I finally moved to vic all the trees were sold :( but they did have about 50 struck cuttings I got off them .
These mostly have various trunks up to 2 inches some slightly more . I want to lift these this year root prune and cut back heavy to start the branch selection process . My questions are :
CAN YOU CUT THESE BACK TO JUST TRUNKS WITH RELAIBLE BACK BUDDING
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO ROOT PRUNE (BEFORE/AFTER FLOWER)
temp here is still -1 to -3 and about 10-14 daytime

This variety I cant remember but it is a bi colour with pick and white flowers on each tree . I have about 20 in the garden and there natural shape is very dome like and they flower heavily leaves also are tiny :)
rsz_satsuki_azealea_patch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: digging satsuki Azealeas

Post by treeman »

Absolutely you can cut all the branches off Mathew. Seal all the cuts and wash the roots clean and trim well before potting.
The best time is before flowering. If these are Satsuki which flower around November here, do it at the end of Sept some time. Let's see the results of your work too!
Mike
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Re: digging satsuki Azealeas

Post by Matthew »

treeman wrote:Absolutely you can cut all the branches off Mathew. Seal all the cuts and wash the roots clean and trim well before potting.
The best time is before flowering. If these are Satsuki which flower around November here, do it at the end of Sept some time. Let's see the results of your work too!
Mike

Thanks for the information . Yes Usually they flower early November depending on the year . I'm excited to see the results as I saw some good potential when I was looking at the trunks the other day. I'll keep you informed when I lift them.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”