A Quince (I think)

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

A Quince (I think)

Post by dansai »

I got this tree about a year ago. I had it in an orchid pot and let it grow untouched. When I was potting a few plants this had 2 flowers and long lanky growth. I cut it back hard and potted into a largish cheap pot to develop a bit more. The older section then decided to put on a nice display of flowers.

I now have a selection of nicer pots and would like to repot it again to free up the cheap pot for something else. Any advice would be appreciated as to wether this will be detrimental to the plant. I won't be disturbing the roots much.

Anyway, here's a pic
Quince.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: A Quince (I think)

Post by RogerW »

Absolutely. Possibly variety Apple Blossom
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Japanese Quince they don't tend to have a thick trunk and shoot suckers from the base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Yea. The left hand side that's in leaf were all new suckers last season. The section in flower is older. I find it interesting that after I cut it back the older section produced an abundance of flowers, while the newer section produced new leafy growth.
Prior to the cut back the older section had produced 2 flowers that had run their course before I cut. I wasn't expecting a second flowering, especially not the number of flowers.
I wonder if this would be a way to get better flowering?
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

That reminds me-----This year my quince had that colour flower (pale pink)-I thought it was a hybrid or regressive throwback-my wife told me to put it in full sun--a week later it was a deep red colour--I have learnt something .

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”