Kurume Azalea

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Kurume Azalea

Post by treeman »

Daluke wrote:Treeman, great tree man.

I don't think I've ever seen a tree of yours that I didn't like.

I'm curious what soil mix you use on your azaleas?
That's very kind of you to say Daluke.

I don't have many azaleas anymore but.....

Everyone has their favourites. In the absence of kanuma, equal parts sand, peat (real peat moss) and an acid loam is the standard azalea mix and has been used for more than a century. It's important to have a fine mesh sieve and remove anything less than about 2mm.

I've also used diatomite, fine bark and sphagnum rubbed through a 5mm sieve. (the plastic kind from Bunnings) Put good potting mix through a 5mm sieve and then remove the fines with a 2mm sieve. The finer sieves are not so easy to find but essential in my mind. I use 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm sieves almost every day to make up various mixes. For the bottom layer, a mix of 5mm diatomite and orchid bark is ok. I should also mention the pumice is also very good but it should be mixed with sifted peat of fine orchid bark. Also depends on how much you can or like to water as to what mix is best for you.
That should give you a start in formulating a mix. If you use a loam or a clay loam, make sure it's pH is low enough. Less than about 6 if possible. After potting mulch the surface with a layer of chopped sphagnum or sheet moss to protect the surface of the soil and the roots.
Last edited by treeman on September 18th, 2017, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Found this Rhododendrom kiusianum (Kirishima azalea) in last year's files. Such a beautiful species. Anyone else grow it?

http://www.bes.or.jp/english/parks/kiri ... kowan.html

I tell you if I had to grow Au natives only I'd go loopy
P1100449.JPG
P1100451 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Very Pretty,love a piece myself Mike.

Anthony

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”