bougainvillea leaves weird?

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
eyedia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca quinquenervia
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Not yet

bougainvillea leaves weird?

Post by eyedia »

Hi guys...

herewith i have attached couple of bougainvillea bonsai pics. could you please let me know what has happened to this leaves ? its bit weird. yellowish color...ect
your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become.”
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: bougainvillea leaves weird?

Post by Bougy Fan »

If it is in a pot have you been feeding and watering ? I find with bougies that they dry out quickly when in a pot (even though they flourish in the ground with no watering) and they need an organic fertiliser like chook poo regularly.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I find this problem is common this time of year in a lot of different things like citrus, gardenia, even Chinese quince to some extent. Especially this year! Trouble is that here at least it's still too cold for organic fertilizers to work and these plants just can't take up nutrients fast enough when the temps are below 20C. Use a weak soluble non-organic fertilizer once or twice a week this time of year to slowly get them going and then switch to organic when we finally get some heat.
You will definitely see the leaves green up with some warmth.
This is also a good instance where foliar feeding might be helpful. It might take many applications.
Last edited by treeman on September 20th, 2017, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by Lane »

Mine went semi deciduous late winter but has shoots on every square centimetre now.
eyedia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by eyedia »

Bougy Fan wrote:If it is in a pot have you been feeding and watering ? I find with bougies that they dry out quickly when in a pot (even though they flourish in the ground with no watering) and they need an organic fertiliser like chook poo regularly.
Thanks ! Appreciated
"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become.”
eyedia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by eyedia »

treeman wrote:I find this problem is common this time of year in a lot of different things like citrus, gardenia, even Chinese quince to some extent. Especially this year! Trouble is that here at least it's still too cold for organic fertilizers to work and these plants just can't take up nutrients fast enough when the temps are below 20C. Use a weak soluble non-organic fertilizer once or twice a week this time of year to slowly get them going and then switch to organic when we finally get some heat.
You will definitely see the leaves green up with some warmth.
This is also a good instance where foliar feeding might be helpful. It might take many applications.
Thanks mate! I sprayed white oil . Seems ok
eyedia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by eyedia »

Bougy Fan wrote:If it is in a pot have you been feeding and watering ? I find with bougies that they dry out quickly when in a pot (even though they flourish in the ground with no watering) and they need an organic fertiliser like chook poo regularly.
I put enough fertilisers already mate. You mean dynamic lifter?
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Yes - they seem to need a lot more when in a pot. I use Rooster Booster myself, but Dynamic Lifter is the same.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
eyedia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by eyedia »

Bougy Fan wrote:Yes - they seem to need a lot more when in a pot. I use Rooster Booster myself, but Dynamic Lifter is the same.
Great

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”