Collecting Azelea timing & aftercare

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
FruitFly
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything, cause I'm new
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Collecting Azelea timing & aftercare

Post by FruitFly »

Hoping for some advice on collecting Azeleas from a garden.

My FIL is selling his house in lower Blue Mountains and there are about 5 or 6 azaleas that I would like to collect and bring home to Canberra prior to the house being listed. This could happen within the next week or so.

I haven't seen these plants for some weeks and they have had zero care since my MIL passed away some years ago. Just watering from the rain I believe. They are mostly in dappled shade from a very large tree.

If this is not a good time to lift them and move them 4 hours south, what is the best aftercare? Some pruning will be required to fit them into the van.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I will post some pics when & if I can lift them.

Gail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enthusiasm on Fire is Better than Knowledge on Ice
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Collecting Azelea timing & aftercare

Post by Watto »

Now would be fine. Generally azaleas are re-potted right after flowering but you shouldn't have too much trouble. Give them a trim by all means.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FruitFly
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything, cause I'm new
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by FruitFly »

Thanks Watto, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enthusiasm on Fire is Better than Knowledge on Ice
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I have collected quite a few azaleas over the last 10 years. Due to circumstances I have dug them at all times of the year - winter, spring, mid summer and autumn. All have survived so I conclude that time of year is not important but I did note that those dug in summer got going much faster than winter collected.
After care here is minimal. Remove as much garden soil as will come off easily. Trim roots back quite a lot to fit into pots. Pot into good potting mix then place on the ground in the nursery where they get shade for part of the day but some direct sun. Water well and make sure they don't dry out.
I've found them very hardy and transplant is easy. Some have just been transferred to other parts of the garden and survive with minimal care. One spent all weekend on the nature strip after the concreter arrived a few days early and removed them for me :palm: It still grew after planting it in the garden.

As you transplant I'm sure you will need to remove quite a lot of growth which is good. I'd try to remove as many flowers as possible at this time of year to direct plant energy into shoots and roots instead of flowers and seed.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”