Wisteria tree rings

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Wisteria tree rings

Post by robb63 »

Hi Everyone
Could someone please tell me if counting tree rings on a wisteria is like other trees.?
Do they produce more than one growth ring per year ??
I know mine flowers twice so wondering if that has any bearing.
I thought mine should be 50 to 60 years old but I counted 75 white rings. I assume they
are winter growth rings as they are thinner. The piece is off the top of the trunk and
is at centre so they are consecutive rings or unbroken.
All other bits had fused sections or broken with dark bark line
Also the fact I just couldn't polish or even fine sand the wood to see better makes for hard counting.
The picture isn't good but best I got so hope you can see the rings
The bottom of the trunk is about 50% thicker than bit in picture. So how to calculate that.?
Would I roughly add 50% to age at top or how much ??
Would love to know because I have some history with this tree
Thankyou in advance for any help.
cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: Wisteria tree rings

Post by tgward »

my assumption would be one ring per year-young wisteria extend in height quite quickly so probably add a year or two depending on how high from the base the piece is from--perhaps wait till the timber is dry to sand more easily?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Wisteria tree rings

Post by shibui »

Counting rings is not really accurate gauge of age. As you mention, sometimes a tree stops and starts growing a few times during the year if conditions get hard so could have 2 rings in a single year. 2 flowerings may also impact if the summer flowering causes some stress and slows growth.
New wood is laid down along the entire length of the trunk at the same time. As TG points out wisteria grow upward pretty quick so rings higher up should be almost the same as near the base. Base is generally thicker not because of more rings just that individual rings are thicker down there.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”