Bougie Rescue

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Dibbo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Albury-Newie Bonsai Connection

Bougie Rescue

Post by Dibbo »

No sign of a residential market downturn in Newie! Two old humpy's on a large block in my street are about to make way for some snazzy town houses. Being the bonsai slueth that I am I spotted a large Bougie in the front yard and rang the demolition contractors. They are fencing off tomorrow to move in and level the place.No need for too much grovelling but got permission to take the plant. Yay :cool:
So a few hours later and a number of scratches (Ow, those thorns are nasty) I managed to retrieve not one, but two items.
BigB1.JPG
BigB2 .JPG
Little B1.JPG
BigB4.JPG
Little B4.jpg
BigB6.JPG
Little B3.jpg
After your thoughts? I think that maybe the large one is two trees. Not sure if I want to keep the height but it has great movement. Any suggestions most welcome. Currently placed in pots as they are to see if they survive. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dibbo on September 4th, 2018, 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Bougie Rescue

Post by robb63 »

Good score Dibbo
Mate you sure earned a few cold beverages after that dig
With a little TLC they should be shooting by late spring :fc:
Maybe wait until this time next year to decide if and how to split the big one
As you say 2 trees looks an option. One tall and big and one multi trunk or clump from remainder
The smaller tree seems a good candidate for a flat bottom cut. Bougies don't seem to mind that much like olives
I noticed you have a good/heavy duty collecting tool in that spade. Bit of weight in that by the looks of it.
I got to get around to making myself one of those :tu2:
:beer:
Dibbo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dibbo »

Thanks Robb,
Yes I had two ice cold beers that evening. Take your point about waiting for next season and give them a chance to establish. Wasn't sure about a flat bottom cut but you have inspired me. Yeh the spade was an oldy that has been re-purposed. New steel shaft and handle welded onto the spade. And a very sharp edge for cutting through roots. Works a treat and is narrow giving precision when needed and also a more concentrated force for cutting. Cheers Dibbo
jonathanv
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Oak
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by jonathanv »

Nice work!!

My opinion: I would get a reciprocating saw with a long demolition blade and cut the large trunk down the middle right now. I did the same thing to a Boug about half that size 8 months ago, both of the stumps have now sprouted with lots of growth. Bougs love life and are very tolerant to abuse as you probably know.
Dibbo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dibbo »

OK Jonathan. Always happy to hack away at good bonsai material. Sounds like this plant can handle it. Cheers Dibbo

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”