Flowers.

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Flowers.

Post by boom64 »

Hi Dave ,
Great pictures and great advice on water swept ,don't often see this style around he bush I travel in. Definitely would work with this Lepto. Will have to think hard about the future design now. Cheers John.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Not a bonsai but garden tree. Took me awhile to find this guy . Been after this form for the garden for awhile . Great zig-zag branch habit. While the blossom is small and white there are literally thousands of flowers and the tree is only still young at about 4 feet high . Not sure if it maybe worth trying a layer at some point.
species : Prunus Kojo No Mai
rsz_20180926_073720.jpg
rsz_20180926_073726.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Gorgeous flowers, thanks guys!
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

A few plants I got because of the interesting foliage about 6 months ago. Not sure about their Bonsaiability, but loving the spring show.
IMG_3111.jpg
IMG_3109.jpg
And a recent purchase after the Penjing Conference in Canberra. All I did to this was trim a few stray shoots and a long shoot at the top. Its under 20cm high.
IMG_3146.jpg
If anyone is in Canberra or travelling through, get yourself to Cool Country Natives. Totally awesome stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Some nice species to try Dansai.
Homoranthus does well in our garden but I have not tried it in a pot yet.
Chamaelauceum can be difficult on the East coast. They don't seem to like humid summers and all that I have tried in our garden gradually succumb. Seem to be more suited to drier, inland areas so it may not do so well at Coffs. We do have an intergeneric hybrid - Chamaelaucium x Verticordia that has similar characteristics but seems to be a little more hardy.
I don't know that micromytus but it does have a really nice, compact growth habit - one to look out for I think.

Watching for updates on how these go up in your area.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Hi Dansai,

Good on you for giving these a go.
Please make sure you update us on their progress. :yes:

Homoranthus is one of my to-do lists.
I’ve seen some stock with nice thick trunks too.

Obviously I’m keen to see how you go with the Micromyrtus.
:beer:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Matthew wrote:Not a bonsai but garden tree. Took me awhile to find this guy . Been after this form for the garden for awhile . Great zig-zag branch habit. While the blossom is small and white there are literally thousands of flowers and the tree is only still young at about 4 feet high . Not sure if it maybe worth trying a layer at some point.
rsz_20180926_073720.jpg
rsz_20180926_073726.jpg
another pic of the tree
dwarf cherry.jpg
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by DangerousDave »

Hi Boom. I feel like I accidentally hijacked your post a bit with my earlier comments - sorry about that. Fortunately everybody else stayed on track. Great flowers mate. Love those kunzea ones.

Matthew - lovely bloom! Looks like you have a really nice garden too :)

Dansai - they look great to play around with. I have seen a different species of Homoranthus in heathland west of the range in southern Qld. Grows as a big spreading prostrate carpet, but I reckon would lend itself to semi cascade. It’s a cool plant. That species I saw has the common name ‘Mouse plant’ because it smells like mice - the foliage, not the flowers... and it really does. Fun fact.. maybe? The micromyrtus is out that way too. From memory it has that great twisted fissured trunk that looks so good in native heath bonsai, but a long wait to get there I imagine. Great flowers and foliage to enjoy in the meantime. Looking forward to seeing how you go with them

Cheers

Dave
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Matthew wrote:Not a bonsai but garden tree. Took me awhile to find this guy . Been after this form for the garden for awhile . Great zig-zag branch habit. While the blossom is small and white there are literally thousands of flowers and the tree is only still young at about 4 feet high . Not sure if it maybe worth trying a layer at some point.
I saw some of these at a nursery on the weekend. Loads of lowers and interesting branch structure. The grafts were horrible though.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

The 'Paddy's Pink' is the intergenetic hybrid you mention Shibui, so :fc: its a bit hardy. Time will tell. They survived a warm winter, lets see how they cope with a humid summer.

I definitely couldn't go past the Micromyrtus. It appears to be cutting grown and a bit wobbly in the pot. My guess is a one sided root system. I would have loved to pop it into a small bonsai pot, but I'll be taking plenty of cuttings before I do a repot.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”