Breynia nivosa rosea

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Breynia nivosa rosea

Post by Raging Bull »

Strictly speaking this is not a flowering tree, :whistle: but I thought it's the most appropriate section to post this as it has beautiful coloured foliage. It's a breynia nivosa rosea, or confetti bush. I think it also has a couple of other common names. I've also never seen one of these done as a bonsai. These trees were dug from my garden where they self-seeded from a bush I planted many years ago. That bush struggled for a long time before eventually dying, but these seedlings came up in various places quite a long time after the original bush died. I dug them up while they were still very small and had them in a grow pot for about a year.
Yesterday I planted them out into this black bonsai pot, which I bought at our local club meeting on the weekend. I think the black glaze goes well with foliage colours. I'm going to try and keep the trees this size and gradually refine them to literati style trees. Any advice or comments welcome.
Cheers, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Breynia nivosa rosea

Post by melbrackstone »

I've taken a sucker from one I've got growing in my garden, they're a bit scatty and tall left to their own devices, and every year they're stripped clean by a white caterpillar, but I'm sure you'll be able to get some interesting shapes if you prune it regularly. Just watch those caterpillars....

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”