To Bonsai a Lavender or not?

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
bemmbabe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aust. Natives
Bonsai Age: 0

To Bonsai a Lavender or not?

Post by bemmbabe »

I'm undecided whether to bonsai this Lavender bush. Are they easy to maintain or do they need constant tip pruning as the foliage grows so fast. Would it be worth it. I have searched for images of lavender bonsai but there are not many examples.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: To Bonsai a Lavender or not?

Post by Pearcy001 »

Search lavender in the search query and you will find some posts on it. From memory its short lived and not worth the effort involved, but it has been a while since I looked. In saying that, what do you have to lose?

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

I had lavender in pots which I attempted to hedge. I don’t think it backbuds well and the lower leaves tend to die as growth extends making it quite ugly as a small plant. Every time I cut it back it just looked ugly and didn’t respond strongly with lots of growth. My in laws have large unpruned shrubs of lavender on their land which look great, but it is left to grow with no pruning.

I wouldn’t bother with it as bonsai, I’m confident you’ll be disappointed.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

You might get 15 or twenty years out of it if you're lucky but the flower spike will be out of proportion to a dwarfed trunk. Some of the woody thymes might be interesting though?
Mike
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

Personally I would look for more suitable species to make a bonsai. One point regarding longevity, my in-laws have a wicked wild looking lavender hanging over a retaining wall that was already looking quite old when they moved in 31yrs ago and it is still going strong!

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”