Newbie and Potential Bonsai

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
BzTouring
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Fruit trees
Bonsai Age: 0

Newbie and Potential Bonsai

Post by BzTouring »

ImagePomegranate Front by Hazel Larrier, on Flickr
Good day all. I have this Pomegranate plant in a training pot in the ground in order to be "fatten" for a bonsai. However, one of the branches is troubling to me since it appears to be growing inwards. Based on information I had read so far, I am wondering if I leave the branch marked X, instead of thickening the entire truck, it would result in a bulge at that junction.

While I would like to "ground" the plant until it has at least a 2" trunk, I would like to avoid growth that would require surgery to fix :lost:. Looking forward to your advice.

Another view of the trunk
ImagePomegranate Side by Hazel Larrier, on Flickr
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: Newbie and Potential Bonsai

Post by Daluke »

Get rid of it.

Unless you want a wound when you eventually remove it which may take a few years to heal.

Have you got a chosen trunk line or style chosen for the tree.

If the scar and cut is at the back and you are happy to leave it go for a few years I imagine it might heal quickly.
gwilliamb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Privet
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai, Bonsai Society of Australia, Waughope Bonsai Club, H

Post by gwilliamb »

I would have to agree. It is ugly and straight and does nothing for the tree at all. Chop chop.
BzTouring
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BzTouring »

I have not thought about the trunk line or style (not sure if I know what it is :cool: ). With that branch removed, I see the tree displaying a mermaid type of form (because of the bent trunk) with outstretched hands. However, one arm to the right would be fatter than the other. Will see what happens as it grows.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Make a plan for the tree. It’s hard but with solid foundations you can build something great.

Everyone has an opinion and this is mine - you need to be happy with the tree!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

You can make as many plans as you like for trees being grown on but the reality is that it will change so much as it grows and thickens that the original plan will likely be gone well before the tree finishes thickening. At this stage just get rid of any obviously difficult parts and keep fingers crossed.
I like this trunk line for an informal upright style. Just add branches and canopy.
InkedCapture_LI.jpg
Pomegranate usually grows more often as a multi trunked shrubby tree so maybe it would look OK with several rising trunks instead of trying to make it look 'bonsai'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BzTouring
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BzTouring »

Thanks for your response.

So far most of my experience on Bonsai has been obtained for your forum and YouTube. However, while I thought that I should achieve the desired size of the plant before shaping, following the thread of your upcoming 2-year competition I now believe that shaping could be carried out during the plant's growth.

At least that is my take-away.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”