The Crab Apple Twins

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

The Crab Apple Twins

Post by Watto »

I have a shohin crab apple that I think is quite nice. I like it because its the correct size for shohin and has movement in the trunk, it flowers and fruits so an all round winner for me.
I also have a large crab apple that is pretty straight in the trunk but it flowers and fruits. I think it has potential to be a good bonsai in a few years, with some additional foliage and ramification.
One I call Danny DeVito, the other Arnold Schwarzenegger. Guess which one is which :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: The Crab Apple Twins

Post by TimS »

Looking good watto, haven’t grown crab apple myself but have heard they aren’t the easiest to ramify so looks like you’ve done well
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples & Elms
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by John(JP) »

Greg,

Both are awesome thanks for sharing.

I have a couple - one is a bit young to do anything, one just Flowers and one flowers as if it's trying to rival Floriade but then has the most pitiful attempt to fruit - starts out looking as if it knows what it's doing and then seems to say "oh dammit I'm too tired those piddly little things are all your getting" - maybe give it a triple PK drink in 2023

John(JP)
CBS
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Tim, ramification is not quick like a maple but it can be done.
Thanks John.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”