Collected Jacaranda

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Collected Jacaranda

Post by Albo »

Hey All,
Back in November I collected this Jacaranda from a bunch of about 20 that had seeded from some local trees. I picked this one because it had the best movement and taper.
Was about 7foot tall.Just basically ripped it out of the ground, Cut it down and stuck it in a pot. I waited till it started growing again then applied some Ozmocote and dynamic lifter.

Since then it has just gone nuts! Already done a couple of cutbacks, selected a new leader on the left-hand side.

I’m thinking of leaving some shoots closer to the base as sacrifice branches to thicken the base even more.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Jacaranda and could offer any advice around pruning and repotting?

Any advice appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: Collected Jacaranda

Post by Matt S »

Hi Albo,

Here are a couple of good Jacaranda threads:

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=5621

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=25204

Matt.
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Albo »

Thanks Matt,

I’ll check those out
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

I've got a couple of Jaca's that I found growing in mulch that had been put down by the council next to a fence 3-4 years ago. Originally I thought they were leopard trees, but the bark's wrong now that they are getting a little larger. I'm pretty sure they are jacarandahs. The main caution I would advise is when wiring to shape branches. A couple of times the branches I've wired to a different shape just died. Don't know why, because I was quite careful and they were still pliable to bend without cracking.
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Albo »

I’ve found these really need a hard cut back. I’m not worried about flowers. I experimented with pruning the leaves to shape last season an I think I know how to make this look good. In a couple of months it will look great, trust me :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”