Facts about Saotome Azalea

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples & Elms
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Facts about Saotome Azalea

Post by John(JP) »

Recently purchased a Shohin Saotome Azalea from a source I worked with at NBPCA so I have no doubt about authenticity however the most I know about 'Saotome" Azalea is from a workshop at CBS a few years ago where, if memory serves, Brenda Parker mentioned that ...."some Saotome flower some don't"....
Then in attempting some quick research into Saotome Azalea I find 1 post(UK) suggesting that Saotome is a Rhododendron indicum 'Saotome' and ..."is a very small variety of Satsuki Azalea famous for being difficult to get to flower".... and in another which was written by an American named Miller writing in 'The Azalean' in Dec'99 where 'Saotome' is also referenced as a variety of Satsuki imported from Japan into America as cuttings(a long time ago)but they had difficulty getting them to root however one this chap purchased from a friend at the US Arboretum was seen to have a single flower after many years but then only after placing in the ground.
Long attempt to get to a short question - does anybody have knowledge of Saotome Azalea or know where information can be researched.
John(JP)
CBS
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Facts about Saotome Azalea

Post by KIRKY »

I was always told that the Saotome is a non flowering Azalea species. I have one over 20 years old and still to date has never flowered. All other Azaleas/Satsuki I own have flowered so can’t be feeding or environment as they are all treated the same. I have read on here that some people have managed to a get flower. Not sure if they are true Saotome. I believe they are/were grown for their very small leaves. Long and short if you have one that flowers great! If you have one that doesn’t flower it’s to be expected.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that flowers
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club, Bonsai Society of Sydney, School of Bonsai

Post by PeachSlices »

Saotoime azaleas will have 1 flower bloom if your lucky but its not common

Leong from bonsai south says he created an saotome azalea that flowers which is what we can find these days with the pink flowers.

According to my research the Saotome like Azalea that flowers might aswell just be Azalea Chinzan.

my 2c

Simon
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Simon, interesting that you say Leon “created”. So not a true Saotome. Which is why I believe, the true Saotome does not flower. :imo: which is what I have read in all the old texts years ago. They don’t flower.
Cheers
Kirky
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree that true Sao To Me only rarely flower. Any variety that flowers regularly is certainly not Sao To Me.
I think I have seen a single flower in aver 20 years of growing Sao To Me here.
The cultivar was developed purely for clipping into evergreen mounds in garden landscapes. Small leaves and good growth after trimming make it ideal for that and for bonsai if you don't care much about flowers. Trunks seem to thicken faster than many other azaleas here which is a bonus.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I have a couple of Sao To Me azaleas and I have seen one flower in more than 20 years.
I know practically nothing about them, except I do like the small leaves.
Not showing off, but here is the flower (I keep it with my hens teeth :lol: :lol: ) The photo is from 2016 and I haven't seen one since, a flower that is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Nice one Watto, I’m still waiting for my hens to drop their teeth too! :lol:
Cheers
Kirky
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by John(JP) »

Thanks all and I'll deal with Watto next week

John(JP)
CBS
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by John(JP) »

Thanks all and I'll deal with Watto next week

John(JP)
CBS
jamesocallaghan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Na

Post by jamesocallaghan »

I have a number of labelled chinzan satsuki azaleas that have flowered yet(last 3 yrs), under standing using high in phosphorus fertilizer this year to try and promote flowering hopefully they are not soa tome. Any advise on getting them to flower, and has anyone else experienced this.

James
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

James can you put your location in. It helps to know where you are in the World in order to give you better advice.
Cheers
Kirky
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I have a number of labelled chinzan satsuki azaleas that have flowered yet(last 3 yrs), under standing using high in phosphorus fertilizer this year to try and promote flowering hopefully they are not soa tome. Any advise on getting them to flower, and has anyone else experienced this.
As you are not talking about Sao Tome could I suggest starting a new thread instead of sidetracking one with a specific intent. New threads don't cost anything. Just scroll right down to the topics on the main page and get started there.

Azaleas should flower right from year 1 usually when grown as cuttings which I assume these are because you are quoting a cultivar name.
There's probably more than just nutrients going on if azaleas won't flower. Location will definitely help but also tell us more about your curent care regime for the plants. Someone may have some suggestions of other fixes.
I have seen some internet posts that talk about high P to promote flowering but I suspect someone has made a mistake and it is just being requoted over and over by others who know no better. Traditionally higher K is used to promote flowering. Just check any pack of flowers and fruit fertiliser.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

jamesocallaghan wrote: June 24th, 2023, 12:29 pm I have a number of labelled chinzan satsuki azaleas that have flowered yet(last 3 yrs), under standing using high in phosphorus fertilizer this year to try and promote flowering hopefully they are not soa tome. Any advise on getting them to flower, and has anyone else experienced this.

James
Rhododendrons dislike high P and it actually reduces their growth. Too much N is also to be avoided.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

shibui wrote: June 24th, 2023, 4:50 pm Just check any pack of flowers and fruit fertiliser.
I would be careful about getting information about plant nutrition from a fertilizer pack.
Mike
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by John(JP) »

Again thank you all for the input and despite the "clear and normally undeniable photographic evidence" from Watto I'm going to go with Sao Tome do not flower - not even in Bungendore.

Notwithstanding
(a) is it a variety of Satsuki - I cannot find any reference to confirm that
(b) is there any expert information on Sao Tome
(c) I'm gathering it's treated like any other Azalea except the little mongrel doesn't flower

John(JP)
CBS

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”