Can I leave my Azalea on my window sill?

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
rane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Can I leave my Azalea on my window sill?

Post by rane »

It is a Rhododendron Indica, I am based in Melbourne and the window is facing North.

I also have a Serissia Foetida, same question applies.

Thank you!!
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Re: Can I leave my Azalea on my window sill?

Post by Phil Rabl »

G'day rane, I see no one has replied to you yet. I'll chance my arm. You will only know for sure if your trees will cope with being inside by the window if you give it a go. You know better than us how much sun they will get, and how hot it gets beside the window. My view is that it's a high risk strategy, and it is something I completely rule out for myself.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Generally most trees, and shrubs, need outside conditions. It's not just the light, but also air movement. A north facing window may give plenty of light, but could also be very hot as there is no air movement to help your Azalea cool itself down. Unless of it is an openable window. Pests can also be more problematic inside.

Is there a reason you want to keep it inside?
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
rane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rane »

Hi Phil and Dansai

I think I would have okay air movement as its a two piece window and the piece next to it is usually always open to let a breeze in. I guess the reason for wanting it by the window is so I can see it while I'm working!

I ended up picking up a small cotoneaster from bunning that I've topped with a layer of sphagnum moss to experiment while I've left the other bonsa in the backyard.

Appreciate your responses though, I think I'm just trying to learn about the right amount of light (and water) it's a tough feel to develop! I'm always worried the plants in the backyard are being scorched by our aussie sun :lost:
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

:fc:
rane wrote: November 15th, 2023, 7:30 pm I guess the reason for wanting it by the window is so I can see it while I'm working!
I totally understand this ... I used to have my collection out the back in my old house, but that meant I could go a week without seeing them.

In my new place I made a conscious decision to keep them in the main thoroughfare, which brings much joy, when leaving or coming home.

Except, then covid hit ... then I was WFH, some weeks not even going outside. So bonsai (and I) started to suffer.

Now I just try to force myself outside each morning, either before breakfast or morning tea, enjoy a coffee while checking on my collection, or watering them.

So TLDR, force yourself and your bonsai outside, many benefits to all!

- Daniel
rane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rane »

Thanks for your response Daniel,

Yes, I can agree with that! I find myself going to the backyard just to have a look at them - although with this comes the urge to water them or DO something which I need to resist haha

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”