Crabapple

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Crabapple

Post by Watto »

I have a lovely crabapple that grows outside the kitchen window. It give year round appeal but its really strong point is the quantity of the flowers it produces.
So a few years ago I did a air layer and now I am the proud owner of a great tree, and the possibility of a good bonsai in the making.
It just goes to show you can get bonsai from just about anywhere.
If you like the look of this tree, come to the Goulburn Bonsai Society Exhibition this weekend. There is a post about it in this forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jase
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azailia

Re: Crabapple

Post by jase »

Love the curve in the trunk !!! Beautiful!!!
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Love the curve in the trunk but not the long neck following. It will be nice if you can get budding below the apex clump and shorten the tree to diminish that long tube look. Otherwise it is tremendously promising and stunning in its flower production.
Liam Taylor
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Liam Taylor »

Wonderful flowers and movement. You have a good eye for design and opportunity.
Is there any fragrance from the Crabapple flowers?
Liam
Ash Barns
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Pines.Tridents etc
Bonsai Age: 21

Post by Ash Barns »

MelaQuin wrote:Love the curve in the trunk but not the long neck following.
That is a constructive comment. Would it be possible to swing the back branch up to form the new apex?
http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Crab apple flowers don't really have a scent.
I agree with the long neck comment, but the tree is still young in bonsai terms and I am hopeful some adventurous buds will pop. The back branch is not that good unfortunately but if I don't develope it at this height, I will give it a cut down. Its getting a year to show me some buds - or else!
Thanks for the kind comments.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
buddaboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Flowering Apricot, Bougainvillea

Post by buddaboy »

OR ELSE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lovely little tree

Buddaboy
I am the black sheep of the Bonsai world.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

The curve of the pot and the curve of the trunk go very well together. The top half goes off at a good angle, but I agree, bit too long - ask the wise ones whether crabs shoot reliably from old wood, then attack without mercy.

Hope to see it Saturday,

Gavin
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Just a quick update on the crabapple. It hasn't develpoed any adventurous buds in the right places yet, but it still has a few months to make up its mind. At the moment the foliage hides the bare neck. The fruit will very soon turn yellow but I have had trouble keeping the magpies off the tree - but I do believe toy snakes work. I think the fruit really works with the tree at the moment as the fruit are apples in miniture.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ginkgo, Japanese Maple, Stewartia
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by Kyushu Danji »

The size of the fruits on your crab apple are ideal, and I don't think that the bare trunk is such an issue when the foliage and blossoms cover it.
I also have three crab apples that I recently collected around the same size as this one of yours. I found that backbudding was pretty prolific, despite some pretty harsh treatment. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, if you give the tree a little more time.
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all species
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai society, Southern Highlands Bonsai Group

Post by Handy Mick »

Greg,
A .22 should do the trick.
Mick
Visit my website http://www.handy-mick.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow my page on Facebook. Southern Highlands Handy Mick
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus

Post by NathanM »

I love this tree as I have a very soft spot for crabapples :D Sure, the long neck bit may not be ideal, but hey, who among us as a collection of perfect trees? I know I don't even have one :P
As mentioned, the foliage does a reasonable job of hiding it. It would be ideal to get a bud or two, but if it doesn't happen, I wouldn't be too upset!
I have one giant crab (thanks to Matt :D) and a few small ones. None of them have become much in my car. The giant one has been grown by Matt with bonsai in mind, so it's off to a good start and is a long term plan for me.
Anyway, back on topic, maybe putting it into a grow box/pot for a season might help with the bud development?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Nathan - this tree has shot quite a few buds, but not in the required location as yet, but its only been a few months since I threatened it!!! If it doesn't show any signs by spring this year, I will "score" it where I want a branch in the hope that will encourage it to shoot. I am like you, I don't have any perfect trees, but I live in hope that good luck and hard work will reward me with one that's not too bad.
Cheers
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Post by Chris »

Unreal little tree great work :) love the little apples
NO TREE IS SAFE
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

I wanted to report that the "or else" threat has worked a treat and I am now the proud owner of a new shoot in about the right spot. Not sure yet if I need it to go to the right or to the left, but I will be wiring it in the near future - before it gets too stiff. It should with luck cover up the long straight neck?
Apples are good again this year which makes the tree at this time of year a treat to look at.
Cheers - Watto

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”