Sakura flowering peach?

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Sakura flowering peach?

Post by kvan64 »

I visited some family's friend's garden recently and was blown away by a thick small bush of flowering peach. The flowers are double/multiple. They flower profusely. I was told that they are Sakura flowering peaches and appear to be drawf in size. I was given a few small trees and have pinched off all the flowers on them before transplanting. Early this morning, a couple of old buds cracked open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Sakura flowering peach?

Post by NathanM »

Hey man,
Thanks for posting this up!! I found some in Toowoomba that look identical but wasn't sure what they were. I knew they looked like prunus, but were so tiny.
They wouldn't be "sakura" so to speak, as this is a Japanese word for flowering Cherries, but definitely could well be dwarf peaches.
Thanks mate, I'll take some cuttings next time i'm there!! :D
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Prunus, Malus, Quince, Elms
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by astroboy76 »

hey there,

i have one of these. i bought it from ray nescis. it is actually a dwarf flowering almond (Prunus glandulosa) :D

they flower prolifically on one years old wood. try to use defoliation or pruning to balance the strngth of new branches as weaker branches will only produce tiny flowers where as the stronger braanhces will flower first and the flowers will be double the size and a lot fuller. sounds weird but this year i didnt get even flowering and on the smaller thinner branches the flowers were easily half the size of the thicker stronger branches.

here is a pic of mine
dwarf flowering almond.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diversity is essential
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Thanks for the input of information abou this species guys.

Nathan, don't need cuttings, I'll put one tree aside for you mate. Just let me know when you head out this way. I still have a 15L bag of 5mm scoria here for you to pickup. I'm always happy to share whatever is available.
Cheers,
DK
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by NathanM »

Hey DK,
Thanks heaps man, I really appreciate it :D Is there anything you need in return at all? I'm reasonably free most weekends to drop over, jsut not this weekend. We'll arrange something soon.
Again, thanks heaps dude!!

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”