Bargain Grape - First Fruits

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas, Callistemons, Bougies
Bonsai Age: 14

Re: Bargain Grape - First Fruits

Post by banksia »

Cheers for that Pup!. It makes total sense really when you think about it. While on that subject, I'll keep my eye out for any of those little nasties.
The other person I saw buy some that day was a guy around my age and he had his wife and new born with him. He's a member of "The Workshop"...his name escapes me. Anyway, he grabbed atleast 4, as well as a couple of those chunky mulberry layers.
It still really irks me to this day....that "auction".
Just for those who weren't there I'll explain the best I know (and Pup can correct me where/if I'm wrong).
One guy went out on his own with the vision of starting a bonsai nursery which consisted mainly of Natives. Hundreds (maybe thousands) of pieces of stock was being field grown (Melaleucas, Casurinas, Acacias, Eucalypts etc) you name it...he had it sort of deal. Dozens of Grapes (just like mine) and lots and lots of your usual evergreen varieties of popular bonsai subjects.
It turned out the land he was leasing was subject to be developed and....unable to keep it going or organise a relocation....it all got sold by some incompetant auctioneering mob over the span of a weekend. Crappy weather was the order of the day and this seemed to hurry the whole auction process along to the point where rednecks (people who had no interest in Bonsai at all) were there loading up utes and vans and driving off with thousands of dollars worth of material ready to sell at the next weekend market....all for a song!
So, this guy who had invested so much time, money and effort into something that was obviously for the beneft of the West Oz Bonsai community and not so much for financial gain got taken to the cleaners by the very people he was trying to oppose (the market/boot sale fraternity).
A very sad story indeed, and I can only hope that all that stock and other material is well and thriving somewhere :roll: ...yeah right!!!
Pup! How's the 25m2+ olive grove that was there for the picking??? Hundreds upon hundreds of small leafed olives stuffed into one big forest :shock: ...no one even bid on that!!

That's my rant over with,
Anthony ;)
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

The Olive grove is waiting for the bulldozer most of the other stuff went for $ 5-00 a pop. Not sure if there is any thing left. But if any one is coming over for the 2011 convention in Fremantle I believe some of the stuff has been collected and being cared for by a couple of club members for resale. Also there is to be some used for workshops,and demonstrations.

Gilbert got a grant from the government to start the business, and bought a lot of stock from a native nursery run by the aboriginal community, that closed because of lack of workers :!: .

The auctioneer was a, not allowed to say on the open forum.

The young guys name was Bill his wifes name is Melissa. The young boys name is Willy do not remember the baby's name. He is a very busy young bloke do not get to see him much.

Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Brilliant trees Anthony! They should look really nice naked in winter too.
How are the grapes forming now? Wonder if you could produce a mini bottle of wine from them ;)

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

...coming along nicely thanks!! :) . Just finishing their flowering stage and all looks good so far.

Cheers!
Anthony ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Fruits are coming along nicely, and with a dose of the warmer weather recently, a faint tinge of red/purple is beginning to show on some individuals.
I've had to support the canes holding fruit with some pretty hefty gauge wire in order to stop them from breaking under the weight of the bunches.
My other Grape...a cascade, I've just defoliated...and after 2 weeks is starting to shoot again all over!. Only time will tell on the result of size reduction...if any. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with this one for the time being.

Cheers!
Anthony ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”