Bargain Grape - First Fruits

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas, Callistemons, Bougies
Bonsai Age: 14

Bargain Grape - First Fruits

Post by banksia »

I picked up his Grape (variety unknown) and another at a nursery closing down sale for the pricely sum of $5.00 sometime mid last year.
It's got some interesting movement and lovely texture to its bark and while the leaf size is fairly big, I feel It's still in proportion and doesn't compromise the overall look of the composition.
It was repotted a couple of months ago and pruned back fairly hard...from there it sprang into life once the weather started to warm/clear up a little.
Just two weeks ago I noticed a different form of growth at the tips....FRUIT!!! :P. Now alls I have to do is nuture the bunches into maturity and the tree/vine should look rather nice.
Now, not being an accomplised viticulturlist, I'm not sure on feeding these suckers. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should/shouldn't be doing at this particular time?. The clusters look really healthy and as yet :roll: there are no signs of pests or detoriation.
Any thoughts would be greatly appeciated.

Cheers!
Anthony ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Bargain Grape - First Fruits

Post by Jamie »

hi mate :D

I like the movement in this ones trunk, even with leaf size the way it is I think this could be a nice tree if you develop it for the trees structure as i think leaf reduction wont be easy. cool it fruits too, you just need the camebert cheese now ;) :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by ozzy »

Theirs nothing as gnarly as a grape vine trunk is there, 'cept maybe a juniper.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Spot on Jamie....Cheese & Grapes..providing they're nice tasting ones :) Ozzy!.Gnarly trunks like this are the way to go, if you can source the material and have the bucks...which unfortuntely I don't have :cry: ...but for $5...how could you go wrong??
Anyone have any ideas on feeding requirements?. I've read they like lots, but what, when and how much is what I'm not sure about :?

Cheers!
Anthony ;)

P.S Here's a pic of the other one I got....yep...just $5.00 :D . It too was repotted at the same time as the other. However, with this one, I tilted it 90 degrees to the left and turned it into a cascade. While this has further to go (development wise) I'm really excited about this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Very, very cool. I like this a lot Anthony. I am a fruiting variety nut and would love a grape tree. Maybe time to start searching.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Mudgy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ones that handle torture well
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Mudgy »

I was about to ask this question, but it seems you can.

Are there many bonsai Grapevines around?
I travel to the Barossa a bit (hay industry, not wine industry) and dont live too far from the hunter valley.
I was thinking I may be able to visit some growers and look for a vine ?

A mate of mine had a herbicide spray rig business in Tamworth, and the rig was parked next to a grapevine. This was apparently the yardstick to tell if the truck was clean or not. If the vine was good, the truck was obviously clean.
I noticed the vine growers have a rose at the end of each run too, for the same reasons, if the rose gets crook, the vine would be the next thing to "get sick"

does that sound right?

A grapevine would make a cool specimen
Go Hard or Go Home
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Hi.
First thing, awesome!!!! Nice tree's, perfect price though I would have been willing to pay a great deal more.

I wouldn't worry about leaf reduction. If you can you can, if not don't be stressed. Work on the winter show and autumn colours.

The thing I do know about grapes is you have to be very careful about moving them around in the country. You try going through yamba quarantine station here at Renmark and they will take it off you. The spread of disease is a big issue and not one to be taken lightly.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Mudgy!. I don't know alot about the culture of growing grapes, but I was advised by Pup to spray these with Lime Sulphur during their dormancy to prevent from mildew, rust and other associated diseases. These pests are common to Roses aswell, so I imagine that's why they're ued as an indicator as you described.
These two (and many more) were salvaged from a derelict vineyard that was being cleared I believe. I remember going to his house and everywhere you looked was buckets of Seasol with dozens of vines soaking. From what I recall, his success rate was extremely high.....so why not...give it a go!
As I've said, these were only two examples of dozens that were on offer that day for a meager $5.00.
I'm curious as to how some of the others are coming along...If there are any West Aussies out there reading this who purchased vines from that auction, please post some pics to show how they're doing....I'd be most interested.
Also, still no advice on a feeding regime?? :? Someone's got to know something...surely

Cheers!
Anthony ;)

P.S On a side note, there was some really nice Mulberries on offer that day too. They would all be in fruit by now. Anyone out there got any of these?
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Feeding, lower nitro and boost potassium for fruiting.

Collecting grape I was told was very very easy.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Thanks Ben!. I figured it would be something along the lines of this but was alittle unsure.
I'll continue doing as I have then as that's pretty much what I've been doing. Just thought some others might be growing grapes aswell....I recall Bretts had a beauty on the go. How's yours doing Bretts??? Any recent pics?

Cheers!
Anthony ;)
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

banksia wrote:Thanks Ben!. I figured it would be something along the lines of this but was alittle unsure.
I'll continue doing as I have then as that's pretty much what I've been doing. Just thought some others might be growing grapes aswell....I recall Bretts had a beauty on the go. How's yours doing Bretts??? Any recent pics?

Cheers!
Anthony ;)

Anthony, Yates fruit and flower at fortnightly intervals. The reason Roses are planted at the ends, both, and some times in the middle is to feed the aphids. While they gorge themselves on the roses they leave the grapes alone.

I do not know of any one else grabbing grapes, but plenty of Casuarinas for $ 5-00 each with some trunks as thick as swastsenegars arms. Some more were picked up just recently before the bull dozers.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Mudgy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mudgy »

thanks for the info.
I heard someone say to me if you catch ladybeetles put them on the roses. They eat the aphids.
is that right?
Go Hard or Go Home
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Mudgy wrote:thanks for the info.
I heard someone say to me if you catch ladybeetles put them on the roses. They eat the aphids.
is that right?
Yes they are predators of a few of our garden pests. So when you are spraying insecticides, be aware, but if your neighbours use insecticides. It will also kill your ladybeatles, ( old fan of the beatles ) :roll:

Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Mudgy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mudgy »

thanks.

A woman I spoke to said dont use insecticides if you can help it...for example..if there's curl grubs in the soil -
put the pot in water...the buggers will drown after about 2 hours. Save having to reach for the lebaycid, or carbyril, whatever it is that's used.
Go Hard or Go Home
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

I remember many years ago seeing photos of Grape Bonsai in a book. Can't remember the book, but have it in my mind it might have been a pommy one. Perhaps Taffy might have the same book?
I do remember some of the trees were very impressive though and thought at the time I wouldn't mind one myself. Have always kept my eye out when visiting any of the wine growing areas, but figure maybe sultanas/currents would be a good bet.
Love the trunks the old wine vines get, but hard to find any with size and taper due to the pruning. If you get sick of yours, give me a call ............................ please :)
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”