These plants dont like me

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Bella
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

These plants dont like me

Post by Bella »

I love serissa and I really want to try to bonsai a fuschia but I have trouble keeping both of these plants alive. Any tips on what I can do?
Dumper
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: These plants dont like me

Post by Dumper »

fuschia is ok.
keep them in the shade and water them when dry out.

they dont like sun
cosmo123
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by cosmo123 »

Bella...Serrissa's should be easy to look after. I have an informal upright and two forrests of these plants. They don't like to dry out and love a feed. Apart from that there's not much to go wrong with them.
Can you describe how you are keeping them? There might be a clue there.
Cheers
Mike
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

My serissa lives in full sun till mid afternoon and in the hotter weather I ensure it is always moist. I have had the tree for 9 years.

Fuchsias - well they like moist soil and a fair bit of light shade. There are some varieties that grow in full sun [Tom Thumb for one]. I tried to grow the ones with the incredibly tiny flowers and couldn't do it. Even in full shade they grew backwards until they hit the otto bin and I gave up. I think a bush house would be necessary or some well protected place. Good luck. In Sydney I have never seen a fuchsia on the bench at a show or a club meeting and that says a lot.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Bella wrote:I love serissa and I really want to try to bonsai a fuschia but I have trouble keeping both of these plants alive. Any tips on what I can do?
Hey Bella,

Heres a really great thread that will help get you started with the fuschia's viewtopic.php?f=132&t=3968&hilit=fuschia.

The search box at the top of the page is a great place to find information on alot of plants being grown as bonsai, as long as you know what the species is(sometimes this can be the hardest part). If not it wont take long for someone to help with an answer.

I really like going thru the individual forums (native, conifer, deciduous etc) and looking at old posts on trees I have seen that I am thinking of getting but havent grown. No matter how long you have been at this art 1yr or 50, you never stop learning or finding things that wont like you until you find the secrets to there happiness.

When you love a species and really want to have one in your collection you will do almost anything to make sure they thrive, light food water etc etc. I am sure in no time at all you will have some beautiful Serissa & fuschia to share with us all. Dont forget to keep a photo record and notes if possible as its progresses. Its amazing how much you will learn from seeing the changes, I am sorry I do not have more records of some of my older trees.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Bella
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bella »

I keep all my bonsai inside. And yeah, I didnt think any of them would like it but the spot they have about 1m underneath my window (they dont get drafts and they get lots of light) seems to work for most of them. Its just the serissas. I keep my trees inside cause I dont underestimate the ability of my dog to get them if thats what she wants and putting them in the front yard it to invite passersby to knock them off. Also, being as I work 10hr days and often go away on weekends its hard to keep the water up when its really hot. So I have a feeling I just havent found the magic formula of the ideal spot and the right amount of water. I just feel bad about repeatedly killing trees while I find the right combo.
cosmo123
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by cosmo123 »

HI Bella. Yes....understand your comments re the dog. I have a destructo beagle that loves to help...so much so that i have had to build 1 metre high benches to make things a bit more difficult when he takes a fancy to DL or blood and bone. Your comments re keeping your bonsai inside might be a clue. I understand that in our climate bonsai do not do well inside for long periods. Its a humidity thing. Apparently, inside a house is way too dry and consequently kills them off with relative ease if not misted regularly to keep the humidity up. After all we are talking about keeping trees that usually grow outside in conditions that are generally not suited to them. Your watering comments could be an issue as well. In my limited experience I have found that my plants have not suffered greatly by overwatering....conversely....underwatering will knock them off quick smart. Hope you can find some alternatives to your situation.

Cheers

Mike
Bella
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bella »

Yeah my little bundle of muscle is american staffy x kelpie so we have a terrible time keeping her out of anywhere. And often my bf will bring his kelpie when he comes to work here for a week and she can jump colourbond fences. Hehee, both love to help with the plants or injest the plants. We have the healthiest dogs around from all the herbs and vegies they have eaten. I am planning on moving in with my bf tho and he is gonna build me a greenhouse where the dogs cant get in so i think ill wait to get another serissa till then. Same with the fuscia.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

hi bella :D

you will be amazed at how much healthier and easier it will be to keep your trees when they are outside, even in a green house :D that is your prob with the serissa and fucshia, keeping them inside just isnt the best option, other species will be ok but none will be overly happy long term, best bet is to get them outside asap and they will all be much happier, if you want to keep trees inside I reckon you cant go far past the good old chinese elm, they are one that will be able to handle it ok ;)

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Bella
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bella »

So is it just humidity that stops the trees from thriving inside? I know that most indoor plants do need time outdoors regularly but i thought it was just to do with not getting enough light which really isnt a problem in my room. Is there anything I can do to make indoors better since its the safest option for no?
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

hi Bella :D

there are many factors as to why they dont like inside, light can be an issue, not just not enough but sometime too much in the sense if they are to close to the window the window can actually amplify the suns rays and cook the little trees, humidity isnt as much of a prob as watering it properly inside is, watering in itself can be a little bit of an art and being inside can be even harder. the placement of the trees inside is key, getting direct light through a window can be a problem, indirect light would be better but in saying that if I was to keep a tree inside it would only be for a day or three then back out. if you can keep your trees outside up high enough that your pup cant get to them like I said they will be in much better health.

growing trees indoors is a whole different ball game and there is some info out there on it all.

other than chinese elm the other tree I would be happy to keep inside most of the time is figs, they are tough as guts and should be fine, but none will be as happy as they can be outside :D

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Everybody forgets the wind. Trees need wind to move their leaves and sway. It keeps dust off and also the movement helps the energy to flow. Easy Experiment..stand absolutely still for a day and see how sluggish your body feels. Movement is imperative for all living things.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Bella
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bella »

I have right now, two different junipers, a Japanese maple, a chinese elm, a port jackson fig, a honeysuckle, an olive, a yew, and a buxus. All pretty tough. Ill see if I can think of a way to get them out but to get them high enough to be away from my little ratbag is gonna take much moneys and time but ill put my brain to work and see what I can come up with.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

bodhidharma wrote:Everybody forgets the wind. Trees need wind to move their leaves and sway. It keeps dust off and also the movement helps the energy to flow. Easy Experiment..stand absolutely still for a day and see how sluggish your body feels. Movement is imperative for all living things.
I'll vouch for that Bodhi !! I know what it is like not mive well, its not fun!

bella,

I would be concerned more so bout the japanese maple and junipers, the rest are pretty tough, I am interested that you have yew! you(or yew? :P ) or yew :? :lol: arent seen in australia often, have been wanting to get my hands a few for a long time, have been told they might not do so well up here though, I would like to test it though ;)

there are ways that you can get the pup to stop getting at your trees, I know how they can be though, my little nearly 2 year old loves changing the soil mediums from pot to pot the little bugger, have a look at some of the natural products that keep animals away like herbs or spices (possibly chilli spray around the trees).

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Jamie wrote:
bodhidharma wrote:Everybody forgets the wind. Trees need wind to move their leaves and sway. It keeps dust off and also the movement helps the energy to flow. Easy Experiment..stand absolutely still for a day and see how sluggish your body feels. Movement is imperative for all living things.
I'll vouch for that Bodhi !! I know what it is like not mive well, its not fun!

bella,

I would be concerned more so bout the japanese maple and junipers, the rest are pretty tough, I am interested that you have yew! you(or yew? :P ) or yew :? :lol: arent seen in australia often, have been wanting to get my hands a few for a long time, have been told they might not do so well up here though, I would like to test it though ;)

there are ways that you can get the pup to stop getting at your trees, I know how they can be though, my little nearly 2 year old loves changing the soil mediums from pot to pot the little bugger, have a look at some of the natural products that keep animals away like herbs or spices (possibly chilli spray around the trees).

Not heisting this thread but Yew's need a period of dormancy via freezing to be at optimal health.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”