Failed aerial layer..or maybe not..Hawthorn

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Failed aerial layer..or maybe not..Hawthorn

Post by bodhidharma »

I took this off a collected Hawthorn this Spring and upon checking where i had layered it, there was not a root to be found. My first mistake was that (being supremely confident of success) i had severed it from the main tree. This is one of the pitfalls when you use a pot instead of plastic wrap. I applied the layer late in Summer last year and that is why i used a large pot instead. It sat through Autumn and Winter and, as stated earlier, was severed a month ago. "How did it not produce roots" i pondered. Well, hoping for the best, i literally threw it into a black pot and put it aside. I was utterly amazed that it did not miss a beat but instead started pushing like there was no tomorrow. It surprised me as it was a large layer. The moral..dont throw anything away without giving it a chance.. :D And if there is a hawthorn expert out there, can somebody I.D it for me. It is not your run of the mill Hawthorn as it does pink flowers and largish orange berry's with bigger than normal leaves and stunning Autumn colour. Ta in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Re: Failed aerial layer..or maybe not..Hawthorn

Post by Gerard »

Don't be fooled Bodhi,
this tree is obviously dead, let me know when you are throwing it out.
I like it very much.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Gerard wrote:Don't be fooled Bodhi,
this tree is obviously dead, let me know when you are throwing it out.
I like it very much.
:lol: :lol: :lol: That cracks me up
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

HiBodhi , i'm not surprised with the layer not having roots and growing .I layered Japanese Maples and Zelkova's last year most had caloused but no roots .I potted them up and they are growing , mind you i lost 2/3 of the maples with a fungus attack thats why i removed them early .Sorry i cant I.D the hawthorn at this stage and i'm on leave Wednesday so research won't be on my agenda .Cheers Alpine
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

I think the same thing has happened to me twice on the same trident maple.

I did the correct air-layering method. It sat there for two growing seasons, no roots. I finally opened it up, completely healed.

And then, in the coming winter, I did it again, on top, no roots. I actually replanted the trident to the front-yard. Now, the top
portion, nearly 40 cm, has no bark contact with the main trunk below, and it is still alive!!

And what's more, it now has flowers all over! I just cannot explain this.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

daiviet_nguyen wrote:I think the same thing has happened to me twice on the same trident maple.

I did the correct air-layering method. It sat there for two growing seasons, no roots. I finally opened it up, completely healed.

And then, in the coming winter, I did it again, on top, no roots. I actually replanted the trident to the front-yard. Now, the top
portion, nearly 40 cm, has no bark contact with the main trunk below, and it is still alive!!

And what's more, it now has flowers all over! I just cannot explain this.
Sometimes things happen that we cannot explain. Trees, in their bid to survive, just carry on. There must be a thin skin of cambium that carry's the nutrients to the top.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”