Why i love Prunus!! :)

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Prunus, Malus, Quince, Elms
Bonsai Age: 2

Why i love Prunus!! :)

Post by astroboy76 »

hey peeps,

I just cant get enough of the prunus family. Mume is my fav closely followed by this rare peach called Prunus Percia Versicolor or Peppermint peach. there isnt a whole lot of info on them online but i just found some astounding pics and just had to share them. They have double flowers that come on white, pink, crimson, white and pink stripes all on the same tree. Truly amazing! I have been lucky enough to get my hands on two of these trees. They are only a foot high and pencil thin but im happy to own them and watch them grow considering i purchased 3 of these variety from a major chain nursery and each one was a standard pink peach. So I hunted high and low after that and finally got my hands on some! ENJOY :)
Peach 5 in 1.JPG
004.JPG
1290522977_203e72d9d6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diversity is essential
Noramay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Sale Bonsai Club

Re: Why i love Prunus!! :)

Post by Noramay »

They are lovely, especially against the dark trunk
good luck with your new trees.
Mummy of three under three, I love having my arms full
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by NathanM »

Wow, they are awesome :D Good luck!!
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

There are some mature ones in the royal botanic gardens sydney. They are located in "spring walk". These ones are much larger than the first one you posted, and there is a row of them that goes about 100m. Unfortunately, they wont flower again till next spring.

Joel
Kelv
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: EVERYTHING!!!
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Kelv »

Amazing! I have actually never seen a prunus like that before, its awesome!

How does one begin conducting a search for a tree like this?! It seems like as though they are quite rare

Thanks for sharing :)
Melbourne, Victoria.
15 years of bonsai.
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by astroboy76 »

well i first saw them on the flemmings website. they are tree wholsalers. they dont sell directly to public but they sell their trees through chains like Flower Power. However, i bought three stock plants from flower power (have only seen them for sale in one Flower Power in Sydney) and the three of them were incorrectly labelled, whether by Flemmings or by Flower Power, i do not know. What i got was your standard single flowered pink peach. after giving them away to friends and family to plant up in their gardens i stumbled across 2 sitting alone with a single flower on each at a bonsai nursery in sydney. I spotted them right away due to the flowers and snatched them up for $10 each!

Have never seen them in any nursery before and there were only two. I had heard they are quite hard to propagate from cuttings. Who knows. It took me a year but i got soem be sheer chance. Once mine grow a little i woudl be happy to try and root some cuttings for you :)
Diversity is essential
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by astroboy76 »

i wouldnt suggest taking any from the tree's in the botanical gardens though! not if you dont want a huge fine!
Diversity is essential
JayP
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine/Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Goshu

Post by JayP »

astroboy76 wrote:i wouldnt suggest taking any from the tree's in the botanical gardens though! not if you dont want a huge fine!
this is off topic i know but is that cat in your picture a real cat or is that picture photoshopped or something, im not a cat fan but if that is a real cat, that is awesome!! ;)
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by astroboy76 »

hey yeah he is a real cat. His name is Aztec. He is a Bengal. The breed originated by cross breeding the asian leopard cat with a domestic tabby. this was done for two reasons. the first was to stop poaching of the asian leopard cat. the idea is that people wouldnt want to kill somethign that closely resembled their loved pet. Also, the asian leopard cat is immune to feline lukemia.

i actually have 2, a boy and a girl called phoenix. i will attached some pics of the asian leopard cat and my two.

this breed is definately the cat for dog lovers. They follow commands, are incredibly smart (and mischievious), they walk on leads easily, they love water, they love dogs but hate other cats passionately unless they are the same breed. its true! they can be toilet trained to use human toilets and are all around a very special breed. they are normally quite large as far as cats go too.
alcat3.jpg
07122008(012).jpg
07122008.jpg
08122007.jpg
Aztec2.JPG
aztec343.jpg
azz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diversity is essential

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”