To chop or not.

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

To chop or not.

Post by Petra »

Here is a variety of prunus of which family im not so sure about as this tree was here when we come. but since 2 years ago only the stock branch remains. It dose produce some fruit. The layering was taken in October and choped of the tree 3 weeks ago and has already started to shoot.I would like to know where i should chop the thickest branch or just trim and anything else that might need doing please. i look forward to your comments.
bugsplum1Nv005.jpg
bugsS4200003 Rotated(2).jpg
bugs8 Dec 10001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese elm
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: To chop or not.

Post by rowan »

I wouldn't be too impatiant. If it were mine I would leave any chopping till winter/early spring. Then you will have heaps of time to decide on where you want to make your cuts, you might change your mind. Let it get a bit stronger for now.
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

bump.
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey Petra,

Rowan is spot on, for now your layer needs to grow & get some strength & roots down, if you chop it back you reduce the amount of food it can make. Late winter before it starts to move I would then cut back as hard as you like repot & start sorting out those roots.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”