Are ficus benjamina really that bad?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Are ficus benjamina really that bad?

Post by lackhand »

I don't know if any of you read this blog regularly, but his post today about the oft-cursed Ficus benjamina got me thinking. I've been pretty dissatisfied with the ones I have, to the point that I've almost pitched them despite being the trees I've owned the longest. But this made me think again. Maybe they're not so bad, I just need to learn more about them.

http://adamaskwhy.wordpress.com/2014/07 ... benjamina/

Anyway, if you have any opinions, please feel free to share. I'm still not convinced that they're wonderful trees, but he does make some interesting points.
Cheers, Karl
kennedymarx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Are ficus benjamina really that bad?

Post by kennedymarx »

I clicked the thread title thinking I would be posting a link to that article. I have one that I bought this summer as a kind of experimental tree. I cut it down to the first branch and am regrowing the trunkline. He mentions that they have good nebari characteristics in the article and this one definitely does without (seemingly) any work having been done on it for bonsai before I bought it from the houseplant section. I suppose what Adam is getting at is that all trees have different annoyances, but we learn what we have to do to take care of them properly without totally trashing the tree.

Oh, and I like the Benji he worked on quite a bit. It looks like a couple old trees.
Last edited by kennedymarx on July 19th, 2014, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

lackhand wrote:I don't know if any of you read this blog regularly, but his post today about the oft-cursed Ficus benjamina got me thinking. I've been pretty dissatisfied with the ones I have, to the point that I've almost pitched them despite being the trees I've owned the longest. But this made me think again. Maybe they're not so bad, I just need to learn more about them.

http://adamaskwhy.wordpress.com/2014/07 ... benjamina/

Anyway, if you have any opinions, please feel free to share. I'm still not convinced that they're wonderful trees, but he does make some interesting points.
Great post! Very inspiring lackhand. Gave me a few pointers I wasn't aware of for my benjamina too. It was a great read and very insightful too. I love his blunt matter of fact opinions, hahaha. I've always loved this species, such beautiful leaves are what i love best about it. :tu:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I don't think they are particularly good subjects unless you can keep the temp high at night (20C)
They also do much better with a very acid substrate (pH 4 to 5) so use Urea and ammonium based fertilizers.
Probably great in the tropics.
Mike
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

I would have to agree with Adam, good subjects if you stay on top of them........John.

Return to “Tropical”