Beginner bougainvillea

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
robfromdublin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Beginner bougainvillea

Post by robfromdublin »

I lost my first post so this is a second attempt.

I recently hacked back a bougainvillea which was destined for green waste until I saw a bonsai version for sale in the local nursery and thought to myself "That looks cool, I can do that." Anyway, I started cutting without any clue what I was doing and now I'm pretty much back to just a trunk. Can I get some guidance from you good folk as to what I should do next? I've attached 3 pics (one went missing somehow) and my understanding is I should first pic a 'front' and get some sort of plan together. I think the first pic should be the front and I have no plan thereafter beyond encouraging some branches to grow.

Can I get some help and advice please?!
20140913_102008.resized.jpg
20140913_102049.resized.jpg
20140913_101955.resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robfromdublin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Beginner bougainvillea

Post by robfromdublin »

And now those images have rotated. Apologies! I'm not having a good IT day
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

Hacking away is fine. It is the way to learn when you start out.
The soil that is in the pot looks pretty tired to me, so you could think about repotting it into fresh soil and reducing the roots by 50%. The easier option is to by a liquid fertiliser like power feed and give it a half strength dose every second week which will help it grow healthily until you decide what your next step is.
Patience is often a surprise.
robfromdublin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robfromdublin »

I did give it a big dose of liquid fertiliser when I hacked it back but that was a few weeks back so I'll add some more. Is it a case of waiting for branches to start growing before making a plan? I really am clueless!
Inspired
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: conifers

Post by Inspired »

Nice material! Great options and fun to be had
Eusto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Eusto »

Definitely needs a repot. If you don't feel confident enough at trimming the roots, just brush them out a bit and untangle them getting rid of the old soil. Then repot it in a grow box. Basically something wider than that pot so you can get the roots to grow outwards rather than down. You can worry about root pruning and developing the roots so it will fit in a bonsai pot next season or something. This is the part that shouldn't be rushed if you aren't experienced..
Last edited by Eusto on September 16th, 2014, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
robfromdublin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robfromdublin »

Thanks Eusto. Is there any specific dimensions needed for a growing box beyond being wide and shallow? I'll need to knock one up from some spare wood
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

I wish we could grow bougainvillea here in Armidale. Although I have seen one in a special walled garden. With a perspex roof. It reminds me with Jasmine (yet we can grow common white jasmine here in selective positioning) of Cyprus. When I was young and romantic.

I wonder if I can try one here in a warm spot. Then bring it indoors in winter? :?:
Eusto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Eusto »

robfromdublin wrote:Thanks Eusto. Is there any specific dimensions needed for a growing box beyond being wide and shallow? I'll need to knock one up from some spare wood
No specific dimension. As you already have a nice big trunk, a grow box isn't essential. It will help in developing new branches quicker though. It also doesn't have to be shallow, just wider than the pot its currently in. If you can rake the roots out aerially rather than downwards thats a great start if you don't want to root prune. This should enable you to repot it in a box 1/2 or 3/4 the depth of its current pot without pruning. A year or two in the grow box whilst developing the new branches, then you can worry about fitting it into a shallower bonsai pot. (One of the biggest mistakes people make when new to bonsai is trying to fit it into a small pot too soon) yes, it won't look as nice, but bonsais don't always look nice when you're developing them.
dark1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: taxodium
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: bimer,qld. society

Post by dark1 »

G'day Rob, Looks like some good material you have there, as previously mentioned, re pot it now into some good quality potting mix with some osmocote or similar in the mix. Talk about a box or tray to pot it into, try a polystyrene fruit box, they work really well for root training and they keep the root system cool in the hot weather. Water well after re potting and use some tonic like seasol to help it along and reduce the root pruning shock. Dont be too keen to do any bonsai styling just yet, let it grow and re establish itself for the next 12 months. Join a bonsai club if there is one in your area, the help you will get there is invaluable. Good luck, keep us updated, Michael. :fc:
robfromdublin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robfromdublin »

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep you all posted!
Eusto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Eusto »

Rob i am just seeing your username. You are Irish? How long are you living here?
I'm also Irish, here almost 7 years. :aussie:
robfromdublin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robfromdublin »

There ya go, small world! Where are you from?

As the name suggests I am Irish and from Terenure in Dublin. Came here 3 years ago with my then girlfriend who is from Brisbane. Said girlfriend is now my wife and we've a daughter now so I think I'll be here a while yet!! You must be a citizen now at after 7 years? :crikey:
Eusto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Eusto »

robfromdublin wrote:There ya go, small world! Where are you from?

As the name suggests I am Irish and from Terenure in Dublin. Came here 3 years ago with my then girlfriend who is from Brisbane. Said girlfriend is now my wife and we've a daughter now so I think I'll be here a while yet!! You must be a citizen now at after 7 years? :crikey:
I'm from Celbridge. Living in Brisbane now too. I used to live in Ranelagh just around the corner from Terenure :tu: . I've been permanent resident for almost 5 years, have my citizenship form filled out, i just need to get the finger out and send it :oops: .

Return to “Tropical”