more figs from the collection

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

more figs from the collection

Post by wattynine »

First one took inspiration from the old Indonesian ruins we see with tree covering the buildings and monuments One of these I did took position on "fig forest" posted earlier on this forum. This one also done about eight or so years ago.
before today
CIMG4285.JPG
and after a clean up
CIMG4286.JPG
Sometimes I don't know why I hang on to a stump when you know nothing or little can come of it, anyway this is one of those, tiny bits of work done now and again to tidy it up and back to the junk pile, c'mon Father Time, weave your magic.
With the 90 degree angle of the root to the base on this I had considered turning 180 degrees and making a cascade, now with the dead wood to work on, that's a possibility.
before today
CIMG4287.JPG
CIMG4288.JPG
and after the clean up, and adding a shari for later deadwood carving
CIMG4289.JPG
CIMG4290.JPG
CIMG4291.JPG
CIMG4292.JPG
again one of the trees of my younger years, it was a much taller tree I just took too long to realise it. anyway one day I cut the top of and bent the first branch into the crown position and started again. Still too tall I know, but the plan for this is too bring the canopy down in a weeping style to hide some of the trunk. Father Time again.
CIMG4293.JPG
CIMG4294.JPG
CIMG4295.JPG
CIMG4296.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: more figs from the collection

Post by wattynine »

another root over rock, does present as a great trunk (my opinion only again), still quite some work to do on the crown, branches and ramification but the skeleton is beginning to get there. Would like to do some more work on this and have realised a bonsai-ists nightmare, I am officially out of wire!!!
CIMG4297.JPG
CIMG4298.JPG
CIMG4299.JPG
CIMG4300.JPG
Not sure if too many will like this.........it come from a result of finding I suppose a little unique and that was a fig growing as vine, so I coiled it into a pot and left it for a long time before deciding what to do with it and I suppose the right rock to do it with, not sure if this suits this at all but it's mine so I'll say I like it, it has only been like this for about 2 years so still a way to go.
CIMG4301.JPG
CIMG4302.JPG
CIMG4303.JPG
Just a great old stump that I took back to base level about 6 months ago, just didn't like any of the branches that were on it.
Have simply hand brushed this new growth in a downwards manner every time I walk past it and cut the top shoots to try and and get the size perspective of the branch size correct for the future, probably needs to go back into a proper training pot to inspire some growth.
CIMG4304.JPG
CIMG4305.JPG
CIMG4306.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wattynine »

My first Hebel mountain (Oh trust me I'm not boasting) just a block with some scoring in it really, done about 8 years ago or so, tree has been cut down a couple of times, is beginning to show some prospect in the root fusion.
CIMG4315.JPG
CIMG4316.JPG
CIMG4318.JPG
CIMG4320.JPG
This one started out as a root over rock, man you would laugh if you could see what I called a bonsai when I did this, I still have a firm picture in my head about how bad it looked. Anyway with the rock removed I had a memory of a holiday through the Innisfail to Cardwell area of the Cathedral Fig and Curtain tree fig and modelled this from that (or have begun too).(might post these trees separately now that I remember that)
Me standing IN the Cathedral Fig
paint 2.jpg
my attempt
CIMG4321.JPG
me with my fig (actual size) :lol:
CIMG4322-2.jpg
and tied now, with the absence of any wire thick enough to wire them down
CIMG4324.JPG
CIMG4325.JPG
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wattynine »

I mention before how bad some of my previous attempts were (not to exaggerate that my recent attempts are great but they are better)
this was one of those it used to be about twice the height it is now so about two years ago, off came the top and I re-grew it, so far,
CIMG4326.JPG
Have been using this as the front but maybe with the new lower foliage?
CIMG4327.JPG
maybe this should be the front, it has some "crossing" faults but let's face it it'll never be judged for competition. could this work?
CIMG4328.JPG
Last one in this post and my mornings work is done

Great old stump that I had to dig out of the roof of a motel in Mackay on the main drag, Nebo Rd, the Mia Mia Motel, man I got some weird looks that day. Only a year ago I made this Hebel pot and pot the tree in it as part of the Rockhampton Bonsai Club meet.
Anyway I think it's suffering a little so back to the junk pile in styro to recover and grow out a little
CIMG4329.JPG
CIMG4330.JPG
CIMG4331.JPG
CIMG4332.JPG
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wattynine »

:bump:
again just a re-wire-repot
CIMG5267.JPG
CIMG5307.JPG
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wattynine »

Ten tree in all on this post;
tree one SOLD (also pictured last as a re-post)
Tree 2 Gaveaway
Tree 3 Gaveaway
Tree 4 Gaveaway (also re-posted at the end)
Tree 5 still in the collection
Tree 6 still in the collection
Tree 7 Gaveaway
Tree 8 still in the collection
Tree 9 Gaveaway
Tree 10 SOLD
irvine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by irvine »

The one with the budda head is awesome. I'm on the lookout for a similar stone head etc to give it a go myself.
toshtony
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by toshtony »

Very nice figs, the one with the Buddha head is so funny every time I look at it it looks like a tree trying to hump a head, something my dog use to do with his pillow. Maybe even one of those walking trees from lord of the Rings picking up a bolder.

Good stuff!

Return to “Tropical”