Duranta from a Newbie

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
bingregory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wrightia
Bonsai Age: 1

Duranta from a Newbie

Post by bingregory »

Hello everybody,

Great forum you got here, so much enthusiasm. I'm a northern temperate zone transplant to the tropics, just starting to get into bonsai. I dug up a duranta repens "yellow flame" two weeks ago and did a basic trunk chop on it. I'll be starting to reduce the tuft of foliage after it's recovered from being potted up. I want to shorten and hollow out the trunk where it was chopped, put the apex a lot closer on the upper left and then maybe bring some branches down to the right ending below the trunk chop. Not sure what kind of style that would wind up being... :lost: Has anyone worked with duranta before? Not finding it in the archives - is it considered unattractive or unsuitable for bonsai? All suggestions or comments welcome, looking forward to learning a lot around here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Duranta from a Newbie

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi and Welcome
I missed your post initailly - did you also search for Sheena's Gold which is a commonly used name over here ? The duranta and the murraya don't seem to be that popular - not really sure why not as they are prolific growers and readliy available. I have entered a small stump into the shohin comp. The base of your tree looks very good - I would let it recover and wait to see where it shoots from before making a decision on styling.

Tony
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
bingregory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bingregory »

Thanks for the search tip, I'll try that! Thus far, the most bonsai hits I've gotten have been for "pingo de ouro" which is what they call it in Brazil. It seems to be a popular bonsai material over there - turned up a lot of nice images for inspiration that way, but the language is a barrier. Meanwhile I'll try to be patient and see what the tree offers me after a few months.
bingregory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bingregory »

For your general amusement, I present an attempt at a virt. :palm: I wonder whether doodling on a napkin and scanning it wouldn't be an improvement but there it is. The main advantage here must be in keeping me from disturbing the tree while it grows out.. :D .

That's a stab at a shari where the stump used to be. It seems from looking online at what others have done that duranta wood can hold up to shari treatment. I thought I could use that to modify the apparent angle of the old trunk, which bends too far down in the original, and to give it (the imaginary old trunk) some taper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bingregory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bingregory »

Duranta1st_apr2015_web.jpg
The tree as of last month. Ants and rot ate away a lot of the base, till I hit it with a few coats of polyurethane.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Nice to see you back here Bingregory.

Your Duranta has grown well in the last few years. Maybe you could cut it back hard to achieve something along the lines of the shape of the red line?
Duranta1st_apr2015_web.jpg
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
bingregory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bingregory »

Thanks, Steve. I didn't have the guts to take it back that far - still worried about keeping it alive! - but I did prune it back shortly after the photo. Here it is today 3-4 weeks after that. Next time around I'll be more severe :-D
DSC_0031.jpg
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Love the exposed and hollowed trunk!

Keep it up!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

I like where you are taking this tree.
Boics wrote:Love the exposed and hollowed trunk!

Keep it up!
I second this.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

You could let it grow more before cutting to thicken the branches before cutting back hard. Then let it grow again and cut back. Thus creating taper and movement in your branches too. In a few years you'll have some good branch structure to compliment that great base you have.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Tropical”