Single/multi trunk fusion Ficus (Port Jackson)

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Single/multi trunk fusion Ficus (Port Jackson)

Post by Rintar »

This is a 4yo PJ (I believe) at 1 year of ground growth It was flat cut at base level. Root pruned hard and put in this 20cm square pot. It has been cut back a few times and root pruned a few times as well. As early branches were growing from stump I encouraged them to twin together. in hope of creating a quicker thicker and fussed trunk at this stage it is about 50cm tall want to bring it down eventually to just below 40cm. I am Largely just letting it grow out and fuse at the moment. But wanted to see it naked and how it was going so thought Id share. hope you like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: Single/multi trunk fusion Ficus (Port Jackson)

Post by tgward »

never tried plaited (how long would this take to fuse and start to look like an interesting single trunk) but have always wondered if choosing a single trunk at the start would result in the same size trunk over the same timeframe-and look more natural,--or are you trying for the' strangler fig' look
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rintar »

Was thinking to make it look like so many of the large park ones with a hint of strangler just letting it do its thing im in no rush. But with right growing conditions id say another 2-3 years. Will look solid.
Regards Jason

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rintar »

I also have a natal fig that is a thick cutting (wrist thick) that is slowly becoming curtain esk or strangler with its multitude of aerials has many issues but wanting to get it slowly to that stage before worrying to much about branches. And getting more aerials to cover some mistakes. Had it about 3 years now.
Regards Jason

Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rintar »

just noticed that this didn't upload last time. No one commented anyway so guess I'm safe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Jason

Return to “Tropical”