Impulse buy

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Tropicalgirl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Impulse buy

Post by Tropicalgirl »

:imo: Hi,
I'm posting this in Tropicals because I'm not sure where else it fits but it grows here so tropical it is :lost:
I saw it at the local hardware according g to the tag it is called Clerodendron Inerme, I did a Google search and appereny it makes a very nice bonsai. Reminds me of a native tree we have here called milk-wood.
It was very lanky so I have cut it right back to the trunk, and reported into o bigger pot. I suspect it wants more sun than it was getting but hopefully I can make it into an ok bonsai,
Deanna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Impulse buy

Post by Elmar »

I got these, haven't cut them back this hard, but then I don't know a hell of a lot about them.
I do struggle with getting back budding on old wood, so perhaps you're showing me the way!
There are a few posts here on AB, so do a search and have a look!
Watching with interest...

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Hi TG, yep Claro makes great Bonsai. Couple of things to watch for. They need repotting at least twice a year as the root growth is ferocious and in Darwin watch for a bright shiny dark blue beetle that really loves them. They will strip a Bonsai size Claro overnight. Usually doesn't affect the tree to much as they simply grow a new set of leaves and continue on their way. But who wants a Bonsai without leaves, right? They love the sun, so you're right there, plus they don't mind a bit of water either.

Although similar in appearance, I do not believe they are related to the Milkwood you mentioned, which by the way also make great Bonsai subjects if you can get an interesting one. Good luck with your Bonsai, you're lucky to be living in Darwin.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
Tropicalgirl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tropicalgirl »

Thanks guys,
Elgar, I didn't have much choice than to cut it right back because of how spindly it was from lack of sun. It had obviously been cut back a few times before I hope with the humidity it will shoot ok, we will see.
Graeme, thanks for the bug warning, I bet they turn up with the wet like most bugs here. No not related to the milk wood but similar looking, I have one in the corner of the yard, they are a nice tree
Tropicalgirl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tropicalgirl »

This is how my clerodendron looks now, it had shoots from everywhere I took most off and left it with these, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Deanna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tropical”