New Bougainvillia Bonsai from root??

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
SallyOMalley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

New Bougainvillia Bonsai from root??

Post by SallyOMalley »

Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I just got into Bonsai a week ago, when I went to Bunnings to buy something else, and came home with a Ficus Microcarpa Bonsai.

Today I noticed a new plant growing in my garden which looked vaguely familiar. Then it dawned on me, that's the Bougainvillia I got rid of a year ago! Last Summer I couldn't stand the needle sharp spikes coming off that big climbing Bougainvillia, so it had to go. Unable to pull up the big woody root, I cut it back below the surface level, and left it at that. So... today I thought, seeing as it's putting out shoots, why don't I dig up the root and turn it in to a Bonsai. It was a hell of a job, but I've got it in a pot (unfortunately the shoots broke off). Now I can't seem to find info on the net about how to turn a Bougainvillia root into a Bougainvillia Bonsai, and I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible! My plan is to have it in a normal pot until it has some decent roots coming off it, then plant it in a shallow Bonsai pot. I'm wondering if I put nicks in the top of the stump, if it will create shoots from there???? I'd be grateful for any advice. I'm completely new at this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: New Bougainvillia Bonsai from root??

Post by benbonsai »

I would cut it lower, seems like it might get reverse taper if left the way it is.
But I'm not sure if doing that now would kill it, I think they are pretty hardy trees but I'm not sure.
Some one on hear should be able to clarify.
Slow and steady wins the race
SallyOMalley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SallyOMalley »

Thanks Benbonsai. If I cut the top off, perhaps it will encourage new growth from the top as well. At the moment I think the very top of it might be dead, so it seems like a good way to go. I'm not sure what I'll use to cut it. When I cut the root out of the ground I used a branch cutter with jagged teeth. I think it needs a neater cut than that, so I might have to use someting with a flat blade from my kitchen drawer??
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

hi sally,

should be no problem turning this into a bonsai but patience is the key.
i think cutting it down now would be rushing, instead id suggest just let it be for now with regular doses of seasol until you start to see some new growth.
once you have some buds to play with and you are confident its well on its way to having a healthy root system then id start to think about looking for the best place to cut (probably around this time next year).

Im only a newbie myself so im sure someone can give some better advice than this, but its what i would do.

Bryce
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Let it recover undisturbed now until next spring. Then you can select style and branching, or cut lower again
Patience is the key after digging up.newm stock
Ken

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
SallyOMalley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SallyOMalley »

Thank you for your advice. I am glad that you think this can actually work. I will leave it for a year with just water and occasional Seasol. Can't wait so see what it will look like by then! I hope to post an interesting photo next Spring and maybe one mid way. Thanks so much for your help. :yes:

Return to “Tropical”