Fused Port Jackson Fig

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Fused Port Jackson Fig

Post by alpineart »

This was slapped together a few years ago using some poor quality dodgy cutting stock and has struggled to fuse completely
P1120296.JPG
. It was wired together for the first year then had vertical slats wired around the base for a couple of seasons , unfortunately 2 smaller trunks died and it buggered the fusing process . I added a couple of more cuttings to the mix but didn't secure them to the main trunk hence it hasn't fused properly . It had a 60 second hair cut a few days ago .

This morning I planned on root pruning and screwing it securely together then placing it back into the same tray
P1120299.JPG
, change of plan with the tray , I trimmed the roots a bit more
P1120300.JPG
and decided to use the slab I put together yesterday , the glue had hardened up nicely thanks to the hot weather
P1120301.JPG
P1120302.JPG
P1120303.JPG
P1120304.JPG
. This can stay here for the long haul , plenty more slab material laying idol around here to construct some more .

This will get another trim and wire as soon as I can find the time

Cheers .Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Fused Port Jackson Fig

Post by anthonyW »

Good work Alpineart,fusing is very quick way to make fatter trunks,assists greatly in beating father time that way.

Age look and character(battles),well,father time is our friend in need.

Looking at your last 4 images,image 3 maybe a possible front for very natural looking fig I see. :)

Keep it going I am enjoying your figs.

Anthony
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi anthonyW, mate all good trainer material should have numerous fronts according to a European Guru and I certainly have numerous possible fronts on most of my stuff . The reason being is I'm left handed and I cater for the majority of right handed people who usually see a tree in a different light .

If I took a bit more care of the material it would no doubt be better for the effort , unfortunately we cant predict what will happen tomorrow {sickness, Injury } so I just live in the day . It seems I have to slow down a bit , so I guess Bonsai will be flavour of the Month here and there's plenty to do ..

Cheers .Alpine
hawkeyes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by hawkeyes »

I have a question on fusing trunks. When the fuse takes, are any branches trimmed off, or all left on to look as if it has a very bushy crown, or trimmed back to look like a bonsai tree with a thicker trunk. (Do I make sense???) :lost:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi hawkeyes , mate it all depends on the design requirements .I have a port jackson Fig with 2 x 50mm bases fused together and 1 leader creating a single trunk sumo type tree . This particular tree will be multi leaders making for a broom style . To me it doesn't matter what style you use as long as it is pleasing to the eye .

Take a look in Wiki regarding styles ie Broom , Informal upright , Twin Trunk . These styles aren't set in concrete to and one species , A sumo trident Maple doesn't grow naturally like that in nature they are more of a broom style type tree unless manipulated , however most are designed along the Sumo style - informal upright .

Cheers .Alpine

Return to “Tropical”