Beginner wanting to start on a Ficus microcarpa and Jade

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Light
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Beginner wanting to start on a Ficus microcarpa and Jade

Post by Light »

Hi,

Recently became interested in pursuing Bonsai as a hobby. Read the ausbonsai wiki and some stuff on youtube and would like to start out with a Ficus microcarpa.

Looked at a couple of Bunnings nearby with no luck. The Flower Power at Prospect had a bunch of 'Pot Bellied Figs', not sure if these look alright.
20180115_141626.jpg
Ideally, I would like a stock plant that I can learn to shape and train on my own. Where can I find good ficus stock plants in Sydney?

Also, this is a small jade plant that has been sitting around for a year or two.
20180116_195703.jpg
The soil has been compacted with a layer of big pebbles, and the pot doesn't have a drainage hole. Would it be ok to repot it immediately in the middle of summer; get it in better soil and a pot with a hole?
Is it also ok to prune the top and the roots, with the idea of getting the trunk to thicken?

On the topic of soil, where can I get decomposed gravel and/or pumice to make a potting mix?

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Beginner wanting to start on a Ficus microcarpa and Jade

Post by robb63 »

Welcome to AB Light
Your starting on the best trees IMO. Ficus and small leaf jade are great to learn with.
That one you have in the hole-less pot can definitely be potted now into a real pot and
a good mix. The best advice I received when starting out was to go to a proper bonsai nursery.
Jump online to find closest to you but I stick to Ray Nesci nursery Dural or Bonsai South at Caringbah.
Not too close but worth the drive. Better value, stock, advice, etc. I wouldn't waist money on buddah figs.
Any microcarpa ficus variety is better than those ghastly commercial pot belly things IMO.
All jades are good to learn on too but the small leaf variety look more like a bonsai faster I find.
Keep reading info here on AB, wiki and old threads are full of useful knowledge.
Hope you enjoy your journey
cheers
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I don't know anything about figs or jade, but I just wanted to say welcome. So, welcome.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Welcome Light.
Don't look past Ficus rubiginosa when trying to find a fig for bonsai. In my experience they grow faster, develop better and are hardier and more forgiving than most of the other species. Any of the bonsai nurseries up there should stock the sort of figs you are looking for. You might even be able to collect some in your area. They seem to germinate in and on walls and in roof gutters. Rubiginosa is so hardy you can even saw the trunk off at the base and plant it as a cutting if you cannot get the roots out.
I also second repotting jade now.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tropical”