Time to show off your figs (ficus)

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Qitianlong
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: n/a

Re: Time to show off your figs (ficus)

Post by Qitianlong »

When you need a ladder to defoliate your bonsai... :roll:
404181143_413087487718334_2481949584969309610_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Step by step walk the thousand mile path" Musashi - Book of 5 Rings
boristhebadseed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Albury Wodonga

Post by boristhebadseed »

Been a long time between postsI was gifted this PJ from a friend in about Nov 23. Was originally a RoR but is now more like tree consumed rock... Not much was required, but a repot into ceramic and a good clean and tidy up. Very grateful to Rurick for this beauty... Oh, and the pot is NOT pink. it's 'Aggressive Salmon'.Image

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Mez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Mez »

Hey just looking for some thoughts on how to approach my fig. I’ve had it for 6 years where I watered it and that was it. Recently I thought it’s time to give it the love it deserves so I repotted and trimmed.

I’ve been away for 2 weeks and it has really flourished in that time. Am I correct in thinking if I trim away again it will promote more smaller leaves?
Repot
4AC5EAD8-C6A6-4B4C-8274-78C6068D4D38.jpeg
Trim before and now
D5BEAE30-4210-4D8A-8F07-0AA49F949A45.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper

Post by TimIAm »

Yes it will, but you shouldn't do it again within a short period of time for a few reasons:

- With ficus if you cut back again too soon, the tree may not have buds ready to go and it will simply ignore your efforts and put out a single bud or even worse no new bud and you end up with a stalled branch.
- If you cut again over the entire tree in a short period of time, the growth of the entire tree may stall as the tree plays catch-up to try and build the necessary buds and energy to replace all of the leaves you chopped off.
- In my experience with ficus, the general health of the tree matters even if you wait between cut backs. By regularly cutting back you are asking more from the tree. You can take too much out of tree and new growth will be really slow. You can end up with a tree with hardly any leaves and really slow growth. In bonsai we like strong growth because it means we can do more with the tree. Healthy growth = healthy tree = more fun.

The last point is important because your tree was not looking very happy in the first picture. I am guessing the roots grew to a point where they were getting limited resources. One way to solve this is put it in a bigger pot, but a better approach is to work on developing a good root system.

At this point, I'd suggest you get a good slow release fertiliser and feed it. Also, do some reading online or start a new question thread on how to work towards a good set of roots for your tree.

If you want to keep cutting back for smaller leaves, a good rule of thumb is to wait until each branch has 5 or more (offset) pairs of leaves and then cut back to 2. This will allow time for the tree to grow and develop the necessary buds. Keep in mind that the weather is getting colder, so the next cut would probably be better done in spring when you can see visible buds at the base of leaves.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I won this Ficus microcarpa as a lucky door prize back in early 2022. It stayed on the shelf being ignored for over a year until I finally got bored with it and decided to cut it back hard. New pics taken today after the trunk chop back in December 2023. I lowered the soil level a little, and removed the split root where it's now going gangbusters with lots of new aerial roots.
0IMG-0605.jpg
0IMG_1502.jpg
0IMG-0607.jpg
0IMG_1500.jpg
Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus rubignosa
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: Irimbirra

Post by Timritchie »

Hi it’s been a while so here is a little update
This tree I acquired in 2018 according to Brett that I purchased it from it was a Max Candy root over rock demonstration.
I’ve concentrated on developing the branch structure and haven’t been to concerned about the “roots”
I finally got it in to a bonsai pot last year and mid January this year I defoliated and wired it for the second time
It looks like an elephant so I’ve named it Ganesh
The original purchase was posted under “Heatwave Figs”
I’ll post more of those trees soon
Tim
Ganesh defoliated and wired 21 January

Ganesh today at sunset

A month ago
Before defoliation and wiring

Wired!
Thanks Ausbonsai!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topiarius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Topiarius »

Nice work…the tree sits very comfortably on the rock :yes:
Mez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mez »

TimIAm wrote: February 27th, 2024, 6:11 am Yes it will, but you shouldn't do it again within a short period of time for a few reasons:
Thanks for the tips Tim! Appreciate it.
Here’s a fresh photo for the road!
BEF1CC5F-6BD7-47D8-8C49-787715F232CA.jpeg
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku, Ficus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Kedron Brook »

Here's one of my figs. Very happy with it; the leaves are spreading out into a nice canopy, the trunk moves and tapers, healthy tree, reasonable leaf pads with some empty space. On the downside the pot is deep, as the emphasis going forwards is growth. Further, the 2 downward branches on the left are terribly thin. For the near future, I will maintain it more or less as is. Later then 2026, it could be hard cut at the first branch. It's produced a few cuttings, which were shared with new enthusiasts.

This willow leaf ficus was bought from a GC (Gold Coast) grower, one that's a little exxier. This was about 2 years ago, and a couple of girlfriends earlier :tounge: The tree was much straighter, and and had a thick root as big as a potato :shake: The root was reduced over 2 chops, the first was really very major and a very early attempt at such an action on roots. It bounced back!

The photo doesn't show that there's a bit more nebari, really only the top arc of the potato root. The tree isn't so flat, the canopy / leaf pads are more obvious and so is the negative space.

I welcome any critiques or horticultural comments.
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
it's the green life for me.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I welcome any critiques or horticultural comments.
All I can suggest is if you want the lower branches to thicken up, let them grow without trimming them. Also, wire the tips up so they are angled to the light. It'll give the branch a bit more of an incentive to keep growing.

And honestly? if you're planning on trunk chopping back to the first branch in the future, you should really have it in a grow on pot, and allowing the entire tree to grow strongly. It's good you've started working on the roots too, Ficus salicaria roots really can be quite grotesque. I've been known to flat-cut at the widest part of the trunk before the roots have started dividing, and then grow them on as if they're cuttings. In Brisbane the climate is forgiving, and as long as you don't keep it too damp it'll take off just fine. I wouldn't try that until it starts warming up after Winter though.

Return to “Tropical”