Help needed with my potbelly!

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Help needed with my potbelly!

Post by Naimul »

ive been making my mix with about 50% gravel (anything i can get my hands on since diatomite is a bit too much effort for me to source) and 50% quality potting mix. Numbers change depending on species, but the more free draining i want the mix, the more gravel i add. this is probably the cheapest and easiest mix you can make, since the potting mix is there for its inherent fertilisers/organic substance and the gravel is there to air out the mix and stop it from compacting.
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
Ent
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Ent »

Thanks Naimul,

What size gravel do you use? I've been looking for a gravel or sand around 5mm but haven't found it yet.

Ent
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Naimul »

the ones ive been getting are sold in 1kg bags at bunninngs, usually near where they keep the "bonsai" stuff (like pre packaged fertiliser and pots and so on). it looks a lot like aquarium gravel but a lot smoother, and they come in a few sizes, i think there was a 2-5mm and then a 5-9mm variety. Just keep in mind that using this mix usually means you need to keep an eye on watering, since the gravel doesnt really hold any water at all, so on hot days the mix will dry out fairly quickly.
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Wayne R »

I hear what your saying Ent about limited access to supplies. One of the first things I did when I joined this forum was thoroughly confuse myself with all the pot mix recipes folks use and then got angry when I couldn't get access to some of the more popular ingredients. But, I did learn that the best recipe is the one that works for you. So, I settled on two mixes.

The first is good old Camellia/Azalea potting mix that I use for my Camellias (duh) and general potting of cuttings and any plant that takes my fancy. This mix has more 'sand' in it than other potting mixes and drains a lot better, imo.

The second mix I use is a 50/50 mix of Course Grit and Zeo-Clor. I've only found the course grit at the big blue shed, but I'm guessing most nurseries will have it. Haven't seen it at my big green shed. The Zeo-Clor I get from the big green shed from the pool supplies area. If the layout of the green sheds is constant, walk all the way to the back wall, turn right and walk all the way to the side wall, look down. Comes in 15kg bags. I don't sieve the Zeo-Clor and there is a high percentage of fines. This mix drains super well and encourages great root growth. Works wonders for me.

All products are relatively inexpensive and available from big box stores. Good luck. :tu:
Last edited by Wayne R on January 29th, 2015, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace
Wayne
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

PJs Ronin wrote:I hear what your saying Ent about limited access to supplies. One of the first things I did when I joined this forum was thoroughly confuse myself with all the pot mix recipes folks use and then got angry when I couldn't get access to some of the more popular ingredients. But, I did learn that the best recipe is the one that works for you. So, I settled on two mixes.

The first is good old Camellia/Azalea potting mix that I use for my Camellias (duh) and general potting of cuttings and any plant that takes my fancy. This mix has more 'sand' in it than other potting mixes and drains a lot better, imo.

The second mix I use is a 50/50 mix of Course Grit and Zeo-Clor. I've only found the course grit at the big blue shed, but I'm guessing most nurseries will have it. Haven't seen it at my big green shed. The Zeo-Clor I get from the big green shed from the pool supplies area. If the layout of the green sheds is constant, walk all the way to the back wall, turn right and walk all the way to the side wall, look down. Comes in 15kg bags. I don't sieve the Zeo-Clor and there is a high percentage of fines. This mix drains super well and encourages great root growth. Works wonders for me.

All products are relatively inexpensive and available from big box stores. Good luck. :tu:
Is that Masters??? I never though about that sand for a mix, very clever :clap: I live in Australind, so I get my soil from Bonsai Emporium. I fill 2 60L bins when I come up.
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Wayne R »

Raymond wrote:Is that Masters??? I never though about that sand for a mix, very clever :clap: I live in Australind, so I get my soil from Bonsai Emporium. I fill 2 60L bins when I come up.
Yeppers
Peace
Wayne
Ent
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ent »

Hi PJs Ronin,

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't found that zeolite source and I will be straight onto that. I have not tried an Azalea mix but I have some plants in Orchid Mix and it's drains much better than standard potting mixes. My nearest Big Blue Shed is over 200kms away so I'll look elsewhere for course grit or something similar.

Ent
hawkeyes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm

Post by hawkeyes »

Hi Ent. I think your fig looks much better than the previous year. Now another year has gone by. How is it now?
Ent
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ent »

Hi Hawkeyes,

Thanks for your interest, I'll post some photos soon when I tidy it up. It's my oldest tree and has seen the most mistakes but that's how we learn.

Ent
Ent
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ent »

Hi all,

An update for anyone who is interested. Another year on and not much has changed due to my lack of time spent on my trees and a lack of fertiliser. I am basically regrowing all branches so this tree has had the odd trim here and there but not much else. Below are some photos of before and after pruning. I have taken a bit more off the top since the after photo and I had trouble uploading photos on my phone due to the size limits so no real overall pic . I will repot this soon once it has a couple of weeks to recover and I will get to check out the roots and back budding.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant_townsville
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Grant_townsville »

Hi ent im only new on here but live in Townsville too howd you go chasing a soil mix?
I use 50% black scoria (day dawn nursery )
25% pine bark (get if from most places)
25% kleensorb (ordered it in from blackwoods)

Ive used this mix on pretty much all of my trees except azalea and they have all taken off. Its really free draining. Not sure how its going to go with the heat in summer but it all holds water i guess
Ent
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ent »

Hi Grant,

No mate, still winging it or using store bought mixes.

Ent

Return to “Tropical”