New PJ!

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

New PJ!

Post by kez »

I went on a bit of a Bonsai nursery crawl with a friend of mine yesterday,

Checked out yatteyattah, bonsai at the bay and cambewarra. It was a great way to spend a rainy day, and I must admit having 3 nurseries within an hour of each other certainly leaves one spoiled for choice.

As usual Mason @ bonsai at the bay was a wealth of info/help, the nursery itself is in great shape with a large range of stock at all levels of development and I couldn't walk away without picking up this fig
IMG_1950 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1953 (800x533).jpg
This tree has a great base and movement, and with a bit of thickening of the upper section of the trunk will make a fantastic tree IMO. Thus far I have wired the first 4 or so branches out to the tips and worked on getting some movement into the branches, and will wait until I defoliate in late spring to work on shortening some of the upper branches and getting the rest of the tree in wire. The bottom section has the start of some good rammification so a good chunk of work it already done and hopefully come the end of next season it will be nice and full.

I was also really impressed with cambewarra, and very nearly walked away with a 40 odd year old juniper grey owl with great character, but it was just as well I picked up the fig earlier and exhausted my budget for the day, it would have been a wet old night in the dog house haha

Kez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: New PJ!

Post by kez »

Bit of an update on this one,

Due to our very mild winter this tree got defoliated last night. I was very happy with what I found underneath and the tree was better than I thought up in the top sections.

I still need to build the ramification up in the upper sections but all in all I was quite impressed
IMG_2337 (1024x683).jpg
And one from the top, an attempt to show the branching but it hasn't come out the best
IMG_2338 (1024x683).jpg
I'll post another pick once it comes back into leaf

Kerrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Well,

after taking a little longer than I initially anticipated this tree has put out some growth after the defol, enough to warrant being potted up into it's waiting pot. I had a pot in mind for this tree from my order from Erin Bonsai and was looking forward to seeing it in it's home.

Here it is potted up
IMG_2748 (1280x853).jpg
I posted a pic of this tree in another thread and a comment was made about the height. I must admit when I bought it that I intended on reducing it, but after the defol I couldnt bring myself to do it.

Today while getting it set up for pics, I took the above shot and had one of those moments. In the poly box it didnt look quite as over tall as it does in its pot, and the pot isnt small at about 30cm long, so........
IMG_2750 (1280x853).jpg
I did some chopping. I think it has made it a much better tree, and more natural in it's form, what do you all think?

Regards,

Kerrin
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Very nice pot, matches well with the tree's bark tone and texture :tu:

i like all the movement toward the left, with base positioned to the right, balances well.

shame about the large scar, maybe next repot could rotate the left to the back a bit more? (but hard to tell in a 2D photo).

I'd shorten most of the branches, then rebuild the ramified branching back out to those points. In time that will give you fuller looking tree.

good work!
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow

Return to “Tropical”